Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the oil pump all cleaned and ready to install on my C4 tranny yesterday. I placed the gskt. on the surface to check it and noticed that one part of the gskt. covers the large curved rectangular opening on the pump, all the other openings on the oil pump have openings on the gskt. surface. I called my tranny supplier and asked him about this and he says that there is only one oil pump gskt. for C4 trannies from like 1970 to 1981. Is this right? I have a section of a Ford service manual detailing the C4 tranny dis/reassembly and it shows a picture of the oil pump with the gskt looking like the one I have in my rebuilt kit. Does anyone know if that large rectangular opening is supposed to be covered up by the gskt.? Need to know please. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
only one gasket for the C4/C5 pump. The earlier models (64-65) use to have an o-ring on the pump housing.

Did you replace the pump bushing? I have used the C6 pump bushing in mine over the years. A little larger bushing surface.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's really been too long (like 11 years) since I've rebuilt a C4. I see it now, that hole is just that, a hole, there are no openings from it to anywhere in the pump. thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

Winsoreight, the rebuilt is going great. I'm on track to finish it this weekend sometime and just have it sitting waiting for me to pull the 351W motor out of the parts car. I will be cleaning the valve body tomorrow so I can install my shift kit + I will be doing my final checks for endplay before I install the pump for real. One more question: I had soaked my friction clutches and bands in type F fluid for the last 2 days before installation, since the tranny will sit for about a month before I'm ready to bolt it to my engine and drop it into my 78 car will the bands and clutches be ok? Like the material won't dry up or anything because it will sit for a period of time without use?

FYI everything got replaced in this tranny that should be replaced when doing a complete rebuild, seals, steel and friction plates, oil rings and all bushings and of course gskts. Can't wait to feel this tranny rip off those shifts in all the gears.

·
Registered
413 Posts
It won't dry up. You will be ok. I just got done with my C4 and it will be sitting for about 2 months. I have 4 more to build, guys are getting for racing season.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: windsoreight on 2/7/02 4:33am ]</font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts