Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bushing kit I got for my C4 came with a C6 pump bushing included, so I figured I'd use the C6 bushing since I had it. I used a piece of steel to drive it flush with the gear race, then I used a piece of oak cut to the proper size, to drive it the rest of the way. I had good luck using oak drivers on a couple of other bushings, but this one seemed harder to drive in, and I only got it in a little farther before the driver split in half. I wasn't sure how much farther I needed to go so I wouldn't block the hole in the front of the pump body so I left it, however, the bushing felt a little uneven in the race so I measured it with a calipers and one side was about 0.010" higher than the other side. I attempted to drive the high side in a little farther with one half of the oak bushing driver. After a couple of hits with a ball-peen hammer the edge of the wood piece failed on the last hit and the hammer dinged the gear race and the bushing. I don't think the ding in the gear race is bad enough to warrant replacing the pump body since it's small and recessed, and I can clean up the edges of it so it won't damage the gear. The bushing is what I'm worried about. It's got a small bulge in it, so I need to know if I should remove and replace it. I have a couple of bronze C4 pump bushings so it's not a big deal if I have to.

I may be worried about nothing, but I'd rather safe than sorry.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet, thanks for the reply.

This is the last bushing I had to finish before I could start reassembling the trans and I thought I wrecked it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts