Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I purchased a TCI C4 tran to swap out my c6.
I had to buy the bellhousing from a classic ford place.

The bolt pattern on the bell seems to be something like 7 bolts on the inside. This does match the bolt pattern on the inner part of the transmmition. But I also have 5 bolt patterns on the very outside of the tranny. When this bellhouse goes on there is a bit of space around the top and sides of the tranny. Is this right? The transmition was ordered for a large bellhousing and I told the mustang place I needed a bellhousing for 157 flex plate (Which does fit). Am I ok?

Thanks?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Off the top of my head i would say no,everything should be very precise and fit well.i would call the dealer you went through and make a inquiry

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Your case is made for the large bell that bolts to the case and not the front pump but the pump mount bellhousings will bolt up the same as normal. You can use either one of the 2 bellhousings Ford made for the C-4 including the 351M/400 bell which allows you to bolt up your C-4 to a 460. Your C-4 must be a pan fill if it has the outer bolt holes in the case around the outside of the front pump. You'll be alright, it'll work.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea it is a pan filled. Thanks!
That makes sense. The bolts do seem to match up and no moving parts are involved.

My latest observation is the thin metal (gasket like) that fits between the engine and the tranny. It seems my C6 had this and it doesn't fit on the new Bell. Do I need this? What the heck is it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: duckie37 on 7/4/02 3:05pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Yes you need the block plate for the size bell you're using. If the bell is for a 164 tooth flexplate, then you need a block plate for the 164 tooth bleehousing but if the bell is for the 157 tooth flexplate, you'll need the block plate for a 157 tooth bell. The block plate shims the bellhousing away from the engine for converter clearance otherwise the converter will be pushed against the front pump and will destroy the pump bushing. There needs to be a little freeplay between the converter and the flexplate with trans bolted up before bolting up the converter to the flexplate.

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
The block plate is also used to help locate the starter..When fitting up the bellhousing make sure you use longer pump bolts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts