Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!

I have an older C4 transmission which was working fine in my 64 Falcon behind my 5.0 but I decided to freshen it up.

I installed a B&M Trans Kit #BMM-50231 and a B&M Torque Master torque convertor #BMM-50441.

While installing the transmission kit, I followed the instructions for the modified street version (not the drag only modifications) including all of the drilling. Everything seemed to go together fine (I have only rebuilt one Chevy transmission previously).

At the same time, I also installed a Lokar kickdown cable, an adjustable shift modulator and a used ratchet shifter.

While filling it with fluid for the first time, I assumed it would take about 10 quarts. While I was adding the 6th quart, fluid started gurgling out the vent on top of the transmission. I started the engine and shifted it though the gears several times with my foot on the brake. The fluid appeared high on the stick. I took it for a test drive to warm it up and when I returned it still showed overfull and I had to drain a quart out.

Here is the real trouble:

All of the gears seem to work (sort of). It will start out in first but will not shift into second until I manually shift it from drive to second, then if put it back into drive and I play around with the throttle I can eventually get it into third (although it really wants to stay in second).

Trying to get it to move in reverse is difficult. After shifting it into reverse, I have to rev the engine to get it to move, which it does with a big chirp, but it will not continue moving in reverse unless I continue to rev it.

Can you help me……what did I do wrong? I am hoping it may just be a misplaced ball or spring in the valve body but the fact that it only takes 5 quarts of fluid makes me wonder

What do you think I should look at first?

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
948 Posts
The reason it started pouring out the vent is because the torque converter wasn't filled. You did the right thing about putting your foot on the brake and shifting it through the gears. Get the fluid warm and check your fluid level again. that would be a good starting point.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Ditto on the empty converter. You could also have added the fluid with the engine running as the converter and pump spin at idle. Although, you did say you warmed up the tranny, how far did you drive to warm it up?

"At the same time, I also installed a Lokar kickdown cable, an adjustable shift modulator"

How is the adjustment on these parts? It sounds like the modulator might be preventing the up-shift. Also, did you retain the green dot valve body?

·
Registered
200 Posts
You need to find out if you have a green dot v/b or the better one 1967-69 the b&m kits really suck for c4's I have noticed they don't use a valve body gasket for one... Did your kit have a spacer plate with it? Did it say to leave out the gasket? If you want I have a valve body here at my shop it's the green dot 1965 valve body but it's a good one and I'll give it to you free just pay shipping...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts