Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my rebuild of a 69 C4 and all was well until I took it out on the highway. I was driving about 60MPH for 8 miles and when I slowed down to exit and let off the gas, I lost the drive gear. I had to switch to 1st manually and then 2nd but my drive gear was still not there. I have found through trial and error that if I wigggle the shifter very slightly sometimes I can get it to go into regular drive but not always. I am stumped because this is the second time I have rebuilt the valve body and I am concerned that the valve body may just be out of whack. I cant seem to find a new valve body for sale on the internet. HELP ME Please!!
Thank You,
Ben

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
Wriggling the linkage is a sure sign it's not right . Even a little out and holding the valvebody between gears can ruin a good transmission quickly... OR as a friend of mine just found out , drop into reverse unannounced and near tore the door off :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I fixed up the linkage so that it is nice and solid but the problem I am having still is when I first start to drive the car will start off as if the transmission is slipping but then it will catch and start going. After I have driven for about a mile the transmission starts to slip extremely bad. It wont go forward in any of the gears unless I out it in park then reverse several times then I can get it to start off in 1st, but with alot of slippage. This is driving me crazy. I replaced all the cutch discs and all of the seals in the tranny. When I dropped the pan yesterday there was a small amount of metalic debris in the bottom of the pan. Do you have any thoughts?
Thanks,
Ben

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
Ok you say you replaced clutches , what clearances did you use for each clutch pack? What bands ? All seals in both drums and servo ?? What sealing rings ? Did you test fit the sealing rings in each drum for fit before fitting them in place? What did you do with the valvebody ??
What converter ? new or used ?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Did you match the separator gasket with the plate?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, I did not set any clearances for the clutch plates, I did not know i had too. I used a rebuild kit from CJ pony parts for that year and I replaced every seal tha I could find with one of the new ones. I had to use the old converter which is in visably bad shape because no one had one available until two days ago when I found one at Cobra transmission out of Miami FL. I put a rebuild kit in the valve body that removes the puck and the accumulator spring and adds some different size springs. I did not have a set of bench buddy brushes when I did the valve body, but I did recently order some and they are on the way so I will pull it apart again and clean up the valve ports. I did replace the servo seals when I rebuilt the tranny but I dont know how to tell if a servo is bad or not. I thought about just buying some upgrade servos. Thank you very much for your response, I am learning a lot from you on this forum.
Ben

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
There is a LOT of info here, on the web, and in the factory and other quality manuals. You must have some of that info to set clearances, torques and tolerances. However, if you're like me ("show me once"), I would also highly recommend the C4 video from Ken at Bad Shoe Productions. He's a member here, but I would just go to the site and order it up. You can download it directly if you're in a hurry, or get CDs or tapes by mail.

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts