Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few months I modified my tranny into a reverse manual valvebody from ArtCarr
Last weekend I got to drive the mustang with the modified tranny.
It all seemed to work fine, but then when I went from 2nd to 3th gear I feld the tranny disengaging the 2nd gear. The engine rpm went up(so I immediately backed off on the throttle). But it took almost 2 second to go to 3th gear (it sits in some kind of neutral), causing the increase in engine RPM.
A very long 2-3 flareup (2 second)

I drove the car shifting though the gears for about 30 minutes, but the problem remains.

For the rest the car behaves perfect, but the problem must be dealt with.

I am already in the books, trying to figure out the problem.

Anyone there with a good advice?

Harry

·
Registered
659 Posts
Check you have proper fluid level. Or it is possible you might have a leak? Valve body to case?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it was TX ArtCarr, why is that????

I was thinking:
Is there a possibility that when my Hurst shifter is in third gear the transmission (manual valve) is somewhere in between 2nd and 3th gear? Causing a small passage for the oil in the manual valve? Could this be causing the problem?

It goes to 3th gear, only it takes to long (2 sec).

1st gear to 2nd is no problem and quick. Reverse is no problem, but shifting from 2nd to 3th gear takes about 2 seconds before it goes into 3th gear. Once it is in 3th gear all is fine again (it stays in 3th).

Shifting back to 2nd and 1st is no problem and overall the tranny is running good .

I did not upgrade the intermediate servo (yet).

@Forthman the level is a little bit on the high side, about 1/4 of an inch above the full mark on the dipstick (oil temp warm).

Harry

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: elwi on 4/26/06 3:11am ]</font>

·
Registered
9,251 Posts

1967 Falcon 4 door w/351C - Owner built, owner abused.
70 Mustang 302 / 06 Ranger, 04 SuperCrew parts hauler
The Kelly's Hotrod page

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ckelly on 4/27/06 2:20am ]</font>

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I found the solution to my problem !!!!!

The thing was that the 3th gear was engaging but very late (2 sec). So something told me that the valvebody was good.

I checked if the 1-2 and 3th gear on the C4 did match the 1-2 and 3th selection from the Hurst, but I foud out that 1 and 2 where lining up good only 3th gear was out 5/16 of an inch.

I corrected this by playing with the arm on the input selector.
After a 30 minute fiddeling arround, all gears matched.

The testdrive confirmed I was right!!!!

It was a beautifull day, a good shifting gearbox, what else does a guy need?

The only (minor) problem now is a light flare up from 2-3th gear.
this was already there before the modification, but it god a little more violent.

I think when I replace the intermediant servo for an upgraded one from performance Automatic, it will solve this problem. Hope I am right there

Harry

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The modulator valve is disconnected, no use for it with a manual valvebody.

Harry

·
Registered
300 Posts
I would not use the PA servo, I suggest you use the Sonnax servo......it has teflon sealing rings on the piston, the PA doesn't even come with a new piston.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On 2006-05-15 11:16, CometGT1974 wrote:
I would not use the PA servo, I suggest you use the Sonnax servo......it has teflon sealing rings on the piston, the PA doesn't even come with a new piston.

The PA servo comes with a billit T6061 servo, at least that's what they promise.

It's in the mail already.
The only thing is that I have to wait a long time before it ends up in the Netherlands

Harry

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
On 2006-05-15 11:16, CometGT1974 wrote:
All the newer PA servos within the last 2 years or so have billet pistons with special seals. Very sweet deal. I got mine just before that change over so I have a stock H servo piston with my billet PA cover just like what you probably have. I haven't used it yet because I like my R servo too much. I wish someone would make a billet R servo cover and piston

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
I like my R servo too much. I wish someone would make a billet R servo cover and piston

Count me in too...................

·
Registered
133 Posts
Are you sure you need to go with a bigger apply servo with the reverse manual valve body? I know with my TCI reverse manual valve body the valve body doesnt use the apply side of the servo and instead uses the larger case sized release piston for the apply and release. The port is plugged going from the apply side into the case and the smaller piston O ring is removed. I'm sure it would still work with a standard configuration servo but it would shift weird like you describe.

438 inch Dart block Windsor, AFR 225 heads, 271/[email protected]" on 106 solid roller, 13:1 compression, Super Victor, crank trigger, 950 pro-systems carb, external wet sump oiling, transbrake C4, 4000 converter, 4.10 Dana 60, Nitrous. Street Driven '68 Cougar

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chipmechanic on 5/18/06 4:01am ]</font>

·
Registered
300 Posts
That port has never been plugged on my tranny....have been running the JPT (sonnax) servo for a couple seasons and it, along with more clutches, cured the 2-3 flare. That's running 6.0's in the 1/8th with 1.40-1.42 60' times.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
www.broaderperformance.com

1 - 19 of 19 Posts