Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody!
Yesterday when i started up my 1966 ford fairlane the reverse wouldn't work after moving 15 feet it just stopped while doing a Y turn. I decided to trouble shoot, The trans fluid was good, the linkages were all nice and hooked up good and the car worked in all three forward gears so that may have eliminated the possibility of a broken reverse and 1st gear band. I am stumped can someone please help me?!
Thank You

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Hello everybody!
Yesterday when i started up my 1966 ford fairlane the reverse wouldn't work after moving 15 feet it just stopped while doing a Y turn. I decided to trouble shoot, The trans fluid was good, the linkages were all nice and hooked up good and the car worked in all three forward gears so that may have eliminated the possibility of a broken reverse and 1st gear band. I am stumped can someone please help me?!
Thank You
Nope, you have not eliminated the possibility of a broken rear band.

The rear band does not have to hold, to have the car drive forward.

Try this,
get going about 30 mph and lift you foot off the gas and pull the shifter down to 1st.
The trans should drop into 2nd gear and you will feel "engine braking effect" slow the car.
Continue to coast and you should feel the trans drop into 1st gear with more "engine braking effect" slowing the car even more.

If you don't feel the 1st gear engine braking effect, the band is broken.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Dang that sucks...
Yep,
A broken rear band on a C4 is relatively common.

Some might go the life of the car (whatever that is...) and others might go 30,000 mi and then break.

There is a relative weak point at the band anchor on the servo side.

As a guy that has worked in transmission shops for over 40 years
I've probably seen a couple dozen or more C4's with broken rear bands.

Here's an easier way to test.
At a stop, pull the shifter down to "1" and leave it there.
Accelerate to whatever speed and rpm you are comfortable with, (say 25-35 mph)
and then lift your foot off the gas.

The car should slow heavily from engine braking.

If it just kind of "freewheels" and you can't feel the engine braking effect... well... you know...

·
Premium Member
4,500 Posts
Try doing the test as above . Next step would then be to drop the pan and valvebody, check the band. If the band is ok you could then swap in a new servo piston. If the band is broken , time to pull the trans

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.