Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some recommendations for a shift kit for a C4. It's behind a 351C in my Torino GT. Engine has a mild Crane cam, Performer intake, Holley 600 with vac secondaries and Dynomax headers into 2.5 " pipes. Rear is open with 3.00s. Car is street only, will probably never see the strip. No plans for a converter upgrade, just want crisper shifts.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Basically ALL the aftermarket transmission companies make/have shift kits for the C4.
I've had good luck with TCI, and B&M.
I"m sure there are a plethora of other companies that make shift kits as well, but I haven't dealt with any of them.
It also depends on what all you want the trans to do.
You might consider just purchasing an 'already modified' valve body, depending on the state of modifications, and/or upgrades you want to perform to your trans.
Just a thought........

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew TCI and B&M had kits, but haven't had experience with either, so that's why I was looking for some feedback. You mentioned valve bodies. Is it worth the $50-75 extra to go with a new valve body from somebody like Performance Automatic for a street machine? What's the differences between that and just a shift kit?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Pretty much knowing that it's done right?
I've modified alot of valve bodies in my day. I've never had the knowledge, (well, never pursued it in any case), of doing a full on manual valve body. Done loads of street/strip setups, tho.
Lately, being as I"ve been doing them mostly for the race cars, I've gone with aftermarket full manual valve bodies.
Again, you're trusting someone else's handiwork, but I"ve never gotten a 'bad' valve body from anyone. My latest manual valve body was purchased on eBay, used. Works killer!!!!!
Like stated in my first reply, it all depends on how much you want/intend to do to your trans. If the internals are already pooched, and/or worn out fairly bad, you might as well overhaul it, and go aftermarket valve body. All those neat little valves/springs get worn out too.
Supposedly/allegedly the aftermarket (I would assume/hope anyway), have checked spring pressures, etc, on their setups before selling them to the public. (more of CYA anyway).....(covering yer ass)..........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts