Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a 1968 Cougar. It has a C4 transmission that has a reverse manual valve body (can only shift manually) with a B&M Megashifter. I think the stall speed in the converter is probably about 3000 or 3500 but do not know.

It manually shifts fine from a dead stop through all 3 gears. It will manually shift OK down to second, but unless going very slow or stopped wont shift into first. Shifter ratchets to first position, but transmission stays in second.

Any ideas what the problem could be ?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Is not a problem is how the performance reverse valve bodies work. Will not engine brake in 1st gear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought it might have something to do with that. I had heard about there not being braking in first gear.

But I think it actually is staying in second, and I think maybe a few times it seemed like it was slipping until the car was stopped.

From a dead stop though, it feels nice and tight through all the three gears.

I am thinking of putting a new automatic valve body in. If I do that is there any other changes likely to be needed when going back to automatic ?

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
I am thinking of putting a new automatic valve body in. If I do that is there any other changes likely to be needed when going back to automatic ?

As long as the governor has not been removed to run the manual v.b you can swap v.b's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.