Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 68 mustang coupe with a c4 I have not done much to the tansmission except put in a B&M shiftkit(prior to subcribing to FORDMUSCLE). I recently installed a set of 3.70 gears in the car, and now no matter what I do, I can't get it to stay in 2nd gear past 5000rpm. What is the problem here? Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my C4.

·
Registered
283 Posts
You transmission is being shifted by the governor in the tailhousing. The trans comes factory calibrated to shift at "X" driveshaft RPMs in each gear. When you changed the rear gear ratio, the transmission now thinks that the engine is revving higher, and is shifting according to its programming. You could either install heavier springs or shim your existing ones. The trans does not have to come out, just unbolt the crossmember and tailhousing, and the governor is right there. Get a transmission tech manual for the C-4, or if you have a Ford shop manual for your car, available from any Mustang shop, and that will tell you which spring is for the 2-3 shift. it's a trial and error process this way. Some performance trans companies may sell a governor recalibration kit..........

1 - 2 of 2 Posts