Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are opinions on the sealing rings..I have always used the steel rings but never had a prob..
Some late model electronic transmissions i have done use the teflon rings.
Do these really seal better????
Also is there any merit in using the later C4/C5 stator support that has the wide sealing rings for the forward clutch.Would these seal any better than the normal thin rings or would it not make much difference???

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Those sealing rings are the reason everyone says to keep endplay to a minimum. minimum endplay means the rings do not move back and forth on the grooves.
Teflon is better because they can form to the drum and the sides of the groove. When the high line pressure is applied to the drums the teflon will also slide better on the groove.
I think the teflon is only available for the narrow grooves, I would have to loook but I beleive my pump has wide grooves and I have to use metal rings. Or it could be the other way around. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
The teflon rings don't wear out as quickly and have a better seal since they don't mushroom. They tend to stay stationary on the stator support because they side load from the pressure against the ring lands and the drums spin around the rings. The cast rings actually stick to the drums and spin in the ring grooves because of the larger surface area contact to the drums and the spring loaded nature of those rings. The cast rings actually mushroom out from the endplay which slides the drums back and forth over the drums and eventually the rings will stick to the grooves and not spin with the drums. Do not use teflon rings if you are using a non steel sleeved billet aluminum aftermarket drum because the teflon will not spin with the drum causing the rings to eat the drum by the end of the season. Then the drum can be sleeved and teflon rings can be used without any more damage. Jim at JPT and Dave at Pro Trans both said the same thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts