Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
soi heard that if i find a 3 or 4speed toploader, say of the same year as my 67(for the tail shaft length). my drive shaft off my c4 should fit? im looking in the near future to do a auto to manual swop. thanks

what about the flywheel?

1967 fairlane GT 289 c4 8" 3:11 gears (i think) for now, 3:55.1 soon.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
V8 driveshaft will fit fine as long as the front yoke has the correct spline pattern as the toploader (which is typically 28 teeth which is the same as a C4.) Most toploaders are the same length as the C4 with bell housings attached. You will want a toploader from a 66 to 68 small block Fairlane, Torino, Ranchero, or Cyclone with a 28 spline output shaft and the small 1 1/16" input shaft. Shifter mounting location will be at the middle of the tailhousing to be correct.

Auto flywheel will not work as it has no provisions for a clutch. You will need the flywheel that will match the bellhousing that you will use. It will either have 157 or 164 teeth and for street use I would use a steel flywheel. A Lakewood scattershield, 15200 will accept either flywheel diameter as it has a knockout for the starter.

Speaking of the starter, your C4 one may or may not work. It may work if you new setup has the 157 tooth flywheel, but probably not with the 164 flywheel. Whether it fits or not has to be determined at the time of installation. Replacements are fairly easy to find no matter what.

Don't forget that you will also need to add a pilot bearing at the end of the crank for the toploader's pilot shaft. It is a store bought item.

NOTE: EDITED TO TAILOR THE RESPONSE TO THE OP'S FAIRLANE

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
V8 driveshaft will fit fine as long as the front yoke has the correct spline pattern as the toploader (which is typically 28 teeth which is the same as a C4.) All Mustang toploaders are the same length as the C4 with bell housings attached. You will want a toploader from a 65 1/2 to 73 small block Mustang with a 28 spline output shaft and the small 1 1/16" input shaft. The tailhousing must be for a Mustang for the shifter to work. Shifter mounting location is at the rear of the housing.

Auto flywheel will not work as it has no provisions for a clutch. You will need the flywheel that will match the bellhousing that you will use. It will either have 157 or 164 teeth and for street use I would use a steel flywheel. A Lakewood scattershield, 15200 will accept either flywheel diameter as it has a knockout for the starter.

Speaking of the starter, your C4 one may or may not work. It may work if you new setup has the 157 tooth flywheel, but probably not with the 164 flywheel. Whether it fits or not has to be determined at the time of installation. Replacements are fairly easy to find no matter what.

Don't forget that you will also need to add a pilot bearing at the end of the crank for the toploader's pilot shaft. It is a store bought item.
awesome just what i needed to know, i forgot all about the pilot bearing.

thanks a whole lot dennis

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
I bought my mustang at age 15... and it was an automatic. While still in high school, I went to the local junkyard and bought a 'conversion kit' out of a Fairlane for $125... had everything I needed to convert to the 4-speed.

Only things... The shifter didn't come up through the original hole in the floor. It was too close to the dash... so I cut it out! You had to lean forward to hit 3rd very hard... and you had to move your fingers so you wouldn't smash them against the metal dash... but, hey... I was a teenager with a 4-speed... so it was GAME ON! LOL

I also didn't know about pilot bearings at the time, so I didn't install one. Transmission made a bad whining sound in every gear except 4th. Never knew why, until it finally ate itself. When I went to install the replacement, I learned that I needed to install a pilot bearing! LOL!

One other thing... The clutch assist spring can be a ROYAL PITA to install... until you learn that removing its 'travel stop' makes the job a piece of cake.

It was a TON of work back then, especially with all the lessons learned the 'hard way'... as I didn't have many solid resources, and there was no internet back then... but it was all well worth it! (I'm 44 now, and have had the car for 29 years)

P.S. The rear end will be a major contributor to driveshaft length. Ford has both long and short rear end yokes... so if you do any swapping, make sure they match. Plus, if you go to a 9", those are longer as well. A person -may- be able to go from a 8" with a long yoke to a 9" with a short yoke and not have to change the driveshaft... but driveshafts are generally surprisingly cheap to build/modify at a local driveline shop... at least they were 10-15 years ago. lol You'll also have to deal with wide vs. narrow rearend yokes when swapping diffs.

Everything Dennis said was spot on!

Have Fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.