Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a FM18 convertor attached to my C4 wiht 157 TCI flexplate, small bellhousing. When I pull the tranny up it will bind the tranny. I have done everything to make sure it is seated properly. Could the snout be too long, if so what can I do. Here is what I have.

1984 302 From F-150
157 tooth Flexplate. - TCI-529610 (Summit Racing)
10.5" BoltPattern, 50oz
157 tooth small bellhousing
C4 from I6, 1966 Coupe
FM18 Convertor (Advance Auto Parts)

I have put the convertor in, and cannot get my fingers behind the flexplate.

·
Registered
184 Posts
There is a separator plate that goes between the engine and trans. Also, you need to spin the converter until it falls in multiple times (different splines engage together).

Outside of those tips, everything should work just fine.

Justin

·
Registered
184 Posts
may want to check if you got the right converter. If you got a converter for a late model (26 spline) and your trans is the old 24 spline unit, they won't mesh up right.

You should be able to pull the input shaft and put it in the trans and get it to mesh up tightly with the drum. THen take it out and put it in the converter (the other side of coursee), and it should mesh up really tight. note that one side is 24 spline and the other is 26 spline, but the shaft diameter on a 26 spline unit is larger.

Justin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok guys, one more time before I throw this C-4 POS in the dumpster. I am putting in a 1984 302 from a F-150 2bbl. I have the following:

1984 302 stock
157 Tooth TCI Flexplate 50oz, 10.5 Bolt Pattern
Small Bellhousing for c-4 157tooth 5 7/8" overall depth, block to tranny
Stock 1966 I6 C-4 Tranny (Will upgrade internals later)
FM18 Torque Conv. 10.5 Bolt 2 drain plugs centered between studs 24 splines

I have check and double check to make sure the convertor is seated. I have taken the input shaft out and put the tc in. I get two clicks. One when it goes onto the splines and the other when the flats of the TC fit onto the flats of the pump. I can turn the convertor and the tail shaft can be seen turning. I can see of 1/8 to 1/4" of torque shaft after I do this. (Took the bell off just to see if it was going all the way in). Put the bell back on and get the same 2 clicks(without input shaft). I have had two other people also check to make sure it is in all the way. I can put the tran on the engine and push it up by hand as much as possible. I start some of my bolts by hand to hold it. Once it get them pulled up as far as I can by hand there is no play in the tc to move back and forth. At this point the bell is a good 1/2" from the block. I know if I start to pull it up it will just bind and tear up the pump. What the heck is going on here. I verified the part numbers on the tran to be a 1966 c4. Can someone tell me the parts they used with there 24 spline c-4 to v8 conversion, hopefully with a 157 tooth flexplate.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would bet you are not engaging the pump. There are actually three indexing points- 1. the outer converter housing to front pump snout 2. the input shaft splines to converter one way clutch and 3. converter to pump gear. Sometimes you will spin the gear while butted up to it and you will think its in... Try pulling the converter out just a tiny bit and spinning and pushing in. By the way is your flexplat on backwards?

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Measure from the face of the bellhousing to the mounting face of the converter. If it's not real close to 1" (like +/- 1/
, it's not seated or there is another problem. I've had one TCI (only one) converter that would not seat, but it was a problem with the splines deep in the converter that prevented the center shaft from seating all the way.

·
Registered
184 Posts
"I can turn the convertor and the tail shaft can be seen turning"

That isn't right. I've never had that experience, since the clutch packs and bands aren't applied nothing should move.

Justin

·
Registered
184 Posts
The threads on the converter should be inside the bell housing just slightly. If they protrude outside of the bell housing then the converter isn't in right.

Justin

·
Registered
403 Posts
Make sure your input shaft is fully seated. I ran into this problem after fighting with mine for about 3 hours... Once the input shaft was all the way in, the converter dropped into the 3rd position just fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize this discussion happened 15 years ago, but I did a google search and it came up.
The problem described is one I experienced, and solved. The FM18 converter has drain plugs centered between the studs. The 1984 flexplate is designed for drain plugs next to the stud.
It was the drain plugs hitting the flexplate which caused the problem. The solution is to either drill holes in the flexplate (not recommended) or, buy an FM102 converter which has drain plugs next to the studs, and fits the 24 spline transmission input.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts