Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a big block bell-housing for for the C4 Transmission? OEM? Aftermarket? Where might I find one???

·
Registered
629 Posts
I know there were a few made from Ford that came out to hook the c-4 to the FE series engines, I believe it was an over the counter piece in the 60's for the racers. I have seen a few pop up on Ebay from time to time that will let you hook a 385 series engine to a c-4...I don't remember if it was a Ford piece or some aftermarket unit though...Sorry, I know that isn't too much help to you...but I do know they are out there!
Mike

·
Registered
460 Posts
In the mid-70's Ford full-size cars had C4's behind 351M engines which have the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 460. So there is a factory bellhousing tht will fit. The tranny I have is a pan fill and the bellhousing attaches to the case with separate bolts (the more common case fill tranny uses the pump bolts to attach the bellhousing). I believe the 351M torque converter has the same bolt circle as a 460 flexplate but have not verified this. I'm guessing all 351M C4's are pan fill because of the needed room for the larger diameter flexplate.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Forgot to mention that if this big block is an FE, in 1964 Ford put C4's behind 352 engines in F100 pickups so there is a factory source here, too. Fairly scarce though, I'd guess.

·
Registered
502 Posts
ati in baltimore md and perf automatic in gaithersburg md both offer bells to FE and 429-460 for the C4.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: igo1090 on 2/24/06 11:54pm ]</font>

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all the replies! This is for a 335 series engine. A 400 to be exact. Looks like they do exist.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know there were a few made from Ford that came out to hook the c-4 to the FE series engines, I believe it was an over the counter piece in the 60's for the racers. I have seen a few pop up on Ebay from time to time that will let you hook a 385 series engine to a c-4...I don't remember if it was a Ford piece or some aftermarket unit though...Sorry, I know that isn't too much help to you...but I do know they are out there!
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
The FE to C4 is a myth I have came to believe. It is something with a part number that became misconstrued as a truck number possibly for an Econoline van that never came with an FE. Have never seen a photo of one. The bell would be available through aftermarket adaption. 351M did have a C4 installed on the intermediate car line, I removed and sold one from a 73/74 Torino. I think there was a rumor that it was due to shortage of the fmx at the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts