Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post so stick with me.... Im also new to the world of hot rods. My dad passed away and left me a Bucket T roadster with a 289 and a C4 tranny. Everything has been rebuilt (motor, tranny). I've been having issues with the trans. Most of the time when coming to a stop it never downshifts into low gear. So when taking off it only shifts once. Id think it should shift twice. Im not sure if its because the car is so light that it doesnt shift down properly or what ? I also cant get it pulled into low gear with the shifter. Fluid is at correct level. The guy who rebuilt it moved and Im not able to locate him (sucks). I thought Id throw out a post before taking it somewhere. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
16 Posts
First I would fix the shifter problem,Make sure all the detents in the shifter and trans are together.If the engine is a 289 maybe its a early c-4( Green dot) and it will take off in 2nd in the drive position and shift once to 3rd.Try putting it in 2nd position and see what it does.if it shift all3 that explains it.if not it will stay in 2nd because non green dot c-4s all have manual control 2nd.If all this fails might be a sticky governer valve.But attend to that shifter,seen many make incorrect shifter adjustment and fry the trans!
Good Luck, Fairmont510

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I worded that shifter part wrong in my first post. It shifts fine into drive, park, reverse, etc... The shifter is between your legs facing out. All the way down to the floor is park, one up is Reverse, one more up is N, another up is D, 2, 1. It just wont go into 1 (all the way up). If I start out in drive or 2 it still only shifts once. When pulling up to stop sign it only downshifts once - Id think it would be twice. Some other info for you guys which I should've mentioned previously is the motor and tranny came out of a 66 mustang. The guy that rebuilt it has a good reputation but maybe it just needs adjusting ? Ive been looking thru the pages trying to find something similar to this and not finding much. Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok, If its a 66 c-4 out of a mustang it will be a green dot meaning you need to put it in 2nd( the factory mustang shifter had a Green Dot at the 2nd position) position to get all 3 gears.But if it shifts only once when you have it in 2nd pos. it might be stack shifting as soon as it moves.You might look and see if it has a adjustable modulator valve by pulling the vaccum line off ,look inside of the stem and seeif there is a screw,if it does turn it in or clockwise 2 turns and try it. If it dont have adj. mod.get one that does.Also make sure the kick down linkage operates freely.None wont hurt.

PS. It might help if you could get it into manual low just to verify what gear you are taking off in.Those bucket are lite and the ol 289 might not strain much taking off!
fairmont510

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your input so far. It used to once in awhile kick down to low (1st) when I pulled up on the shifter all the way up while slowing down (10mph). It doesnt matter if Im drive or 2nd the thing still only shifts once. It does shift to drive pretty quick also. Wish I knew more about tranny's but I dont. Seems you guys on this board have some good knowledge! I'll try those few things you mentioned and see what I come up with. Keep the ideas coming..... Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you have to change the mod.,when you remove it watch for the pin it will probley stay in the mod.Make sure you put it back in if you change it.what you said about the quick shift into drive tells it needs turned in.this raises the pressure for a later shift and would make the down shifts more noticable.Let me know what you find.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Fairmont for all your help. I will check these few things in the next few days. Does anybody else have any suggestions on what could be my problem ? That way I can check all things at once. Thanks guys & gals....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts