Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

I got another C4 Transmission question regarding the forward clutch assembly. I took it apart, first of all, removing the piston was very hard, super tight to get out with my fingers. When I went back and checked it a second time I used air to pop it out and it did come out fine doing that, so it moves correctly and spins once in, so no binding of the rubber seals.

The real question I have is both times I put the Ring and Disc Spring in on the piston, it was really hard to get the snap ring in it slot, I got it in, but doesn't seem like the piston has any room to do anything by how tight it is. But maybe it's supposed to be that way and the disc spring actually does compress by pressure easier then me pushing on it with my hand when I was installing the snap ring. So the question is, is it suppose to be this tight and hard to get the snap ring on? As I said, I was able to do it... All other clearances were in spec with feeler gauges.

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Supposed to be tight , it is a spring to make the piston return :)
Yeah, everything is functioning perfect, I staked the two clutches on the stater and did the air checks and they worked as they're supposed to, so all is good and I'm happy... Now for assembling the rest of the transmission tonight ;)

Thanks again...

Jason

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wondering how you were able to install the belleville spring and snap ring? I can't seem to get my snap ring into the groove. I can push down on one side and get the ring to seat but the opposite side is 1/8" to 1/4" above the groove in the drum (pressing with my hand doesn't get it close). I tried placing an old steel above the ring and used c-clamps to try and squeeze the ring into the groove with no luck either. I fear I'm going to break something if I put any more pressure on the ring to force it down. What could I be doing wrong? Other than the seals on the piston and drum, the parts are original. Help!?!?!?

·
Premium Member
4,342 Posts
Just wondering how you were able to install the belleville spring and snap ring? I can't seem to get my snap ring into the groove. I can push down on one side and get the ring to seat but the opposite side is 1/8" to 1/4" above the groove in the drum (pressing with my hand doesn't get it close). I tried placing an old steel above the ring and used c-clamps to try and squeeze the ring into the groove with no luck either. I fear I'm going to break something if I put any more pressure on the ring to force it down. What could I be doing wrong? Other than the seals on the piston and drum, the parts are original. Help!?!?!?
See your other post I just answered

1 - 6 of 6 Posts