Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my trans started acting up about 3 months ago. The transmission can't decide if it wants to be in 1st or 2nd gear when rolling slowly from idle to slight throttle. It shudders/ clunks back and forth from 1st-2nd. This would occur between 8-12 mph and usually on a slight incline.
I took it into a reputable transmission shop and they rebuilt the transmission for me. The problem was not fixed. I ended up taking it back for repair 4 times. They messed around with the valve body each time and adjusted the shift points. Nothing seemed to work. The fourth time I took it in they bought a complete rebuilt transmission from a local shop and installed it. The problem persists.
There are no original parts from my transmission left on the car. Any ideas on what could cause this?
This weekend I'm going to replace all of my vacuum lines.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Welcome to the Forums! Are you really positive it is a transmission shudder, and not fuel, ignition, or driveline related? I would run a vacuum gauge (stick it on the windshield for testing) to verify. Also check the remaining driveline. I say this because a neighbor spent huge money on two lockup torque converters and tranny service, because it would shudder when lightly accelerating at cruise (passing or uphill). The experienced mechanics at two shops firmly believed it was converter shudder. Turned-out to be a lean engine miss when the throttle was moved slightly at cruise and fixed for $25.

David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.