Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a C4 transmission from a salvage yard. It was bolted to a 302 1974. Took it apart found it only had 3 clutches in it, would not fit 4. Ordered new drum.
Now the flex pate has 141 teeth and is 12in ,it seems to be small.
I am putting this engine and transmission in a 1950 Ford that I am building, not a high performance engine. HELP!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O K now I have a drum sent to me that will take 4 clutch disc. Will it work and with a 302 engine not a high performance. 141 teeth flex plate.

·
Registered
417 Posts
More clutch disks equals more torque capacity. C4s were used mostly with 302s. 351s used the FMX. The C4 can be built up to handle a lot of power with upgraded components, but probably not necessary for a street 302. I assume you're not installing a trans-brake. Good quality friction disks and bands should be sufficient. The C4 is not difficult to rebuild. I rebuilt mine using the BadShoe Productions' video and the shop manual as guides. The video was made pre-HD so it can be difficult to see the detail at times. You can also check out the Ford transmission forum for advice.
FordTransmissionForum - Ford Transmission Forum
The number of teeth on the flexplate is contingent on the bell-housing on the transmission since the starter mounts to the housing. Several different bell-housings were used over the years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Being that the bell housing and transmission bolt together, I was able to get the torque converter and the flex plate off the old engine.
I have got a new drum that will accommodate 5 clutches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts