Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know where I can get one of these I managed to tweak mine as I was putting the valve body back in I was having a hard time even finding the name of it any help would be appreciated thank you

·
Registered
861 Posts
Manual shift valve.

Not sold separately.

The only place is another valve body.

A transmission shop may be your best bet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I may have a used one if no one else responds, but it'll be couple days before I can get to it.

Roger

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok let me know till then I'll be watching ebay for a cheap one can't hurt to have an extra laying around if I want to go back to stock or something you never know

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
You'll need to know the year of the trans to get the right one. Each type was used for a few years, but rather than list them all, tell us what you have.

David

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it's a 72 or 75 I bought it from a junkyard If I read the identifiers right it's a 72 but it also says 75 on it is there a difference between the two years.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
I think it's a 72 or 75 I bought it from a junkyard If I read the identifiers right it's a 72 but it also says 75 on it is there a difference between the two years.
'71 to '75 were the same. To be sure what you have, the first way is to post the numbers on the metal ID tag bolted to it. If that's gone, look at the casting date circles and casting number just above the shift arm to verify it would be in that range.

David

I painted this case black, so it's a bit tough to see the individual numbers, but you can see the circles I mentioned above. This one is dated late '69, but carries a D0 casting number, so it's a 1970 model year cast in '69 by that info. In-fact, it did come out of a 1970 Falcon 302:

The pic blown-up below is grainy and hard to see, but you can tell how they are arranged by it. This casting shows a date of Sept. 23, 1969:

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
David i didn't realise there was a difference in the actual spool valves . Never compared them side by side , i thought they were the same from around 70 on????

I know there are differences in the valvebodies .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm 100% sure I saw 75 on the casting don't know where I got 72 from I think it had D2 on it or something it's not at my house my friend has it but I know it said 75 for the casting date.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
I'm 100% sure I saw 75 on the casting don't know where I got 72 from I think it had D2 on it or something it's not at my house my friend has it but I know it said 75 for the casting date.
That's fine - a 1972 case version (D2) actually cast in '75.

As far as different spool lvalves, this puppy (pic below) from the '70 Falcon smudges that year. So, '71+, and they change again a bit in '76-'81 IIRC. Then the C5 again in '82. I don't have any spares here to compare with my memory. Whatever is found, be sure to do a full side-by-side comparison of all dimensions (diameters, land widths and separations) to be positive it will function correctly before installation.

David

·
Registered
51 Posts
Pulled the manual spool valve out of an old valve body I had stored away, valve body is missing some parts so I'd rather just send you the spool. Compared it too a couple of other valve bodies I have and it look just the same. No idea what year c-4 it came out of but the upper part of the valve body had a D7 casting number the lower part had D2 number. Ten bucks plus shipping sound ok? Send me you address and I'll send it, you can send me a check when you recieve it.

Roger
[email protected]

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Bronco88 - With a '72 lower VB, Roger's spool
should work fine.
:tup:
David

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not sure what the spool is I'm not up on all my transmission terminology but if you guys think it will work it probably will.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts