Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the differences in the C4's with the vent in the case and in the tail housing? These are both pan fill and one has a bolt on yoke.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Case vent is older style and tailhousing vent is newer, I think the newer one is like 70 and up or so, not sure though. I would say if they are both pan fill they are both good units to use. Hope this helps.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tim R on 4/15/02 5:00am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya the case vent is a 69 with the bolt on yoke which i'll be changing over to a slip yoke So it'll have two vents

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Be careful if you start swapping output shafts.Compare the front ends of the shafts.The early shafts had a recess in the front to allow for a 1/4" longer input shaft.I think dragman64 just did this swap from flange to slip yoke so he may be able to help..

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I had a 1970 pan fill from a truck. I put my 1964 tailshaft on it. the outputshaft has the recess for the longer imput shaft. It works fine. The only problem would be if you were using a early imput with a late output. Even then you could make it work with some machineing.

I had no vents, so I put a 90* 1/8npt fitting on the tailshaft with a 3/8 hose going up to my firewall. I have a little plastic breather thingy, that you see on rearend vents, on the end of the hose.

Greg, do you still have those pictures of the output shafts?

1964 Comet 289 C4/3000 stall daily driver
TFS TW, Weiand Stealth, Comp XE268, Rhodes lifters, TFS roller rockers, Carter 625 AFB, Hooker SuperComps
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 4/16/02 8:25am ]</font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts