Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lucky enough today to score a c5 trans out of an F100.I have pulled it down to do a real comparison of the improvements + differences.
It even has a 'H' servo,the first i have ever seen.
The way to pick a c5 from the outside is
Deep pan(2.5"deep)
Fine thread on fr band adjuster
Large cooler fittings(1/4" thread)
E2 casting code
Starting at the back ,the #9 thrust washer has the normal 2 locate tangs but also has 2 cutouts to line up with an additional lube hole discussed in the c4 build post.The hole is drilled through the case to meet up withthe cooler return passage.The hole is 9/64".
The cooler return passage is also drilled to 13/64" which is larger than a c4(5/32&quot

The rear roller clutch spring retainer has the wafer springs clipped to it instead of being loose like a c4.
The front pump has no checkball in the stator support cooler passage and this passage is drilled to 1/4".A c4 has the passage at 3/16" and a ball fitted.
The ball can be removed on c4's to improve the oil flow in the cooler circuit.
Now moving inside, the sun gear where it fits into the front + rear planetaries has lube holes drilled to get the oil from the output shaft lube circuit to the gearsets.The C5 has 4 holes each end @.094" .The c4 only has 3 holes each end @ .040".
The forward hub has 5 clutches.It has a different bevel plate in the bottom of the clutchpack Which is .310"overall with a .110" step.
The c4 bevel plate is .265" with a .125"step.
The hi/rev hub has 4 clutches @.078",All steels @.090" with a dished cushion plate on top.
Both the fwd + hi/rev clutches have a thin .140" pressure plates.
The hi/rev hub has the circlip grooved machined higher also as has been mentioned before that the c5 hub has the capacity for more clutches.
The top edge of the groove is down 1.020" where a c4 is bown 1.082".
This trans is a case fill type and the input shaft has a recess about half way along it and it seems to be hardened.
I hope this info is useful as there has been a lot of discussion on the differences .These mods could be done to a c4 to improve the oiling to c5 specs.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Thanks!!!! I'll be checking some of these specs when I rebuild my C4 here shortly. Maybe this can get moved to the C4 archive.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
That's great that you did a side by side comparison. Interresting to know the exact differences between the two. Did the valve body have an extra little valve body bolted to it and the filter with only one bolt holding it on in the center? That's how the C-5s are here and they have lock up converters here too. "R" servos are difficult to find on transmissions here but "H" servos are everywhere. I guess it's the other way around over there down under. I can't find any C-5s here and I have been looking too.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
You're always up to something aren't you LOL. I have seen C-5's too & just wish you didn't have to remove the bellhousing to put them behind a 460. The case is a little better too.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I'm always scheemin' for sometin' but at least Ford accidentally did something right and made a bellhousing that would work with C-4/460s. I have owned C-5s before but I thought those were junk transmissions that couldn't use a regular C-4 valve body so I threw them away. If only I had known then that the weird looking valve body with 1 bolt holing the filter on was a desirable case and the drums could hold more clutches. I assumed they were junk like the "Pinto" C-4s are. If only, if only, if only! DOH!

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The valvebody did have the extra timing body on the bottom and the large rect filter with the one bolt.I will look some more today and see if i can find anymore differeces.
I will get some digital pics next week so it will be easier to see the exact mods so a c4 can be done to match.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Good info as usual coming from the land down under. If a C5 has all those improvements over a C4 why can't a C5 be used with a C4 valve body and pan?Seems like it would be easier than modifing a C4 to C5 oiling and extra clutch specs.Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
C5 will respond to all of the C4 mods. The C4 manual VB's and TB's work in the case.

They also made the C5's in pan fill models. I have a couple of the 429/420 bellhousings if anyone is interested in one email me. Have one listed on eBay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1813760393

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As long as your c4 convertor is 26 spline and not 24 it should work ok.I just checked the 26 spline c5 input shaft fits the c4 convertor no worries..

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have some pics of the differences now ,if anyone would like them let me know..
Tim and 89 ,you have mail....

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Thanks a lot gregaust, those are some very good pictures and does show quite a difference indeed. Nice camera by the way, very clear and crisp pictures. I don't have a digital camera but I have a digital cam corder that takes digital pics on a memory stick but the picture quality sucks even in good light and really sucks in florescent lighting. I'm just about ready to get a good digital camera so I can document the Falcon buildup and take pics of the 466 parts and Super Comp C-4 internals with added rollers that Super Comps don't come with the info I got from you guys. Thanks again Greg.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Is the c5 faster than the c4 or lighter, whats the main advantage,
thanks,

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pretty much the same but with a few lube improvements and a hi/rev drum that allows a little extra clearance for more clutches..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts