Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off I was talking to David (PSIG) in another post >>

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/truck-forum/505937-automatic-trans-acting-up-2.html#post1694032

And I changed my low reverse servo piston and gasket.

Here is the text from that thread:

Something must have went wrong. I got it all back together,and adjusted to specifications. Drove the car on a few test runs and it shifted through the gears fine.

I am now unable to get it into reverse, or park. I raised the rear wheels off the ground, so I could turn them, crawled under the car, removed the shift linkage, and still could not get it into reverse or park.

Do you suppose the sprag fell off the band, or is it unrelated?
Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sprag cannot fall out.

What do you mean that you can't get it in reverse or park?

1) Lever won't move?
2) Lever moves, but won't move far enough?
3) Lever moves, tries to engage, but won't?
4) Lever moves, but does not do anything?

Park and reverse are unrelated. Valve body selects reverse. Park rod selects park.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Disconnected shift rod...

If I move lever at transmission body, it will not shift into reverse or park.

Nuetral Drive, 2, 1 only

Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
861 Posts
The apply strut may have fallen off the servo pin and is holding the linkge from moving.

Drop the pan and valve body.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The apply strut may have fallen off the servo pin and is holding the linkge from moving.

Drop the pan and valve body.
Any special precautions I need to take removing the valve body? Will any springs, or balls drop out?

I don't have a manual for the transmission.

Thank You, Joe

·
Registered
861 Posts
Make sure the linkages are in the proper position in relation to the shift and throttle valves.

No springs will come out and get you. Only remove the 7/16" retaining bolts.

Be prepared for a bath if you don't drain the convertor.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately when I pulled it apart today the front band was broken, right across where it attaches near the sprag . The friction material was very thin as well, metallic shavings in the pan. I have 5 miles on this transmission.

It was supposed to be rebuilt, but I bought it 18 months ago so I am unable to do anything but fix it...Looks like I have to pull it.

Joe

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aftermarket suppliers have what is called a "snap band" that can be installed in the vehicle.
Thanks,
I was researching that here but it does not appear that band wont take allot of HP?

Haven't found a site that sells one yet...

Been looking on you tube at videos of how hard it is to pull a C4 apart. Based upon mine having subpar parts in it so far I am guessing it isn't rebuilt...

Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts