Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i just found one of these even though they are fairly rare..It's one i'm rebuilding..From reading here only a few came out in 1970..This one is dated 12/69.
It has all the later internals/pump etc ,vent on the extension housing,but it also has the casting on the main case above the rear servo for the early style vent tube..
Anyway it's just interesting to find..
For those guys not familiar ,the early c4s had 24/24 splines..The later 70+ had a larger diam input shaft with 26 on the front and 24 on the inner end to the fwd clutch .

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Really? I have a 70 sumthin C4 in the car. Had the thing forever. Just pulled it from a bone pile many, many moons ago. I think the tag had it from a Fairlane. It has the larger shaft and either end will fit in the coverter or drum. It seats properly one way because the splines are slightly longer on one end. I'm pretty sure it's 26 on both ends. And that's a rare piece???

·
Registered
739 Posts
I got my info on that from mmerlin who has spent decades parting out trannies. He says they are not common and are considered "bastards" by those in the trade. Of course a one-year deal versus all the years the C4 was produced tells you all you need about numbers...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts