Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just brought home my 68' mustang coupe with a 289 that has a few performance upgrades home on friday and decided to see what it could do. I floored the throttle and revved the engine in first gear to about 3800 rpm and then took off shifting through 1 2 and d reaching a top speed of 85 mph. After, i did a gradual speed run on it using d and no heavy acceleration and reached 90. Upon turning onto the highway i noticed the tranny was acting funny and didnt like shifting into third. I pulled into a gas station in town and checked the fluid level and it was normal. When i left, i had no drive period, but i had 1, 2 and reverse. I brought the car home and started it up in the morning and noticed it had "morning sickness" in 1 and 2 but that went away in 5 minutes. Any ideas what could be going on here? I've heard it could be a vacuum problem or a sticky valve. I'm hoping it's nothing major. Can't really afford a tranny rebuild right now :p

·
Registered
861 Posts
Not knowing what or if anything has been done to the transmission.

If it has never been opened seals are likely hard and shrunk. Putting the pedal to the metal may have stuck some valves.

It may have been used to a certain driving method and you messed that up.

It is 46 years old and who knows what it has gone through.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I had a feeling it could have been a valve that was sticking. If that's the case how much work am I looking at? It wouldn't have anything to do with the govener would it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts