Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Ok, but what about the park rod. It looks to be in good shape and I don't think any piece got broken off into the parking pawl like some people I have read about. But I could only get the transmission to manually shift into all 6 gears when the park rod was removed...would that have something to do with the band struts not being in place? Should it correct itself when I get those back on?

The struts being out of position probably caused everything.

Did you mess around with the band adjuster to make them fall out of place?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The struts being out of position probably caused everything.

Did you mess around with the band adjuster to make them fall out of place?
Ok Im going out now to put them back into place and then see what happens.

No I didn't even get a chance to see them, they just fell right out when I took the last bolt out of the valve body, so somehow they must have just been completely disloged somehow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Just wanted to let you guys know I was able to reinstall the band struts and tighten the intermediate band no problem. I then reinstalled the park rod, reattached all the linkages, got the valve body back on and linked up the manual valve and the kickdown surprisingly easy. Reinstalled the pan with a new gasket, filled her up with fluid, and behold--- ALL GEARS WORK!! She actually drives and shifts alot smoother now than she did before.

I can't begin to tell you how fulfilled I am to have done this with ZERO transmission experience, and on the floor of the garage to boot. The whole job cost me under $50 (gasket and fluid) vs. who knows what a mechanic would have charged me. I cannot thank you guys enough for your help and guidance to help me through this. I owe you all a beer at some point! Now I just have to clean up the mess in the garage.... :frown:

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Congratulations!
Well done! Chances are, if the "other guy" can do it you can too, and probably much cheaper. If you want to know what you're really capable of - buy a classic car and maintain it properly yourself.
;)
David

41 - 47 of 47 Posts