Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much stock yoke can handle power and what is biggest u-joint size.Is there anybody broke yoke or driveshaft on 9s car.
My car is smal block,tube frame and 14.5 inc slicks,should run mid 9s.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I have over a 1000 passes on my car. It uses the original 6 cyl driveshaft that came with the Fairmont when my brother bought it. The u-joints do not have grease nipples and I cannot remember ever changing them so I think they are the original Ford ones and they are the small 1310 joints. 3100 Lb car goes 10.70's best with 1.48 60 ft.
Now I would not recommend this for you car but truck 1330 joints may do the job.
I am going to all 1350 stuff because I am getting worried about the tiny shaft under there. I went 1350 because I happened to have a tranny yoke I got from another deal.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
I had a problem twisting the splines in these 28 spline yokes. (small input/output toploaders use the same slipyoke) After going through several Spicer yokes, I learned Mark Williams Enterprises offers a super duty unit that is practically bulletproof. However, it uses the #1350 (one ton truck) u-joint, so a new driveshaft needs made. I've been using it for years now with no problems. When I bought it, the price was $170.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
if you have the money, get the "good" stuff....that will be one last thing you have to think about when running a low-9 second pass at 150 mph. Peace of mind goes a long way!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts