Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to go through a C5. I plan to put it behind a 347 stroker. Not sure yet where I'm going with the motor as far as cam heads that type of thing. But I would like to put the right stuff in the tranny so that it will hold up to a healthy combo. This will be my first auto build. And I would like to get it right the first time. It's going in a 87' notch back so it won't be a heavy car.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
whatever can be done to a C4 you can do to a C5..First get a C4 VB,converter and bell. Do you have a case fill or pan fill C5?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a case fill out of an 86' 3.8 mustang. The VB I can get from broader performance. The bell I've been trying to find and so far I'm hitting brick walls everyway I turn. Thanks for the tips keep them coming.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found a bell today local. So I'm ready I just need to figure out what else I need. As far as clutches what would you guys think I need? Alto reds?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
You can put a lot of money into the special frictions but if this is a street only or street with occasional trips to the drags you don't need the special clutches. With 5 frictions in both clutch packs using either Raybestos or Borg Warner frictions you should be fine to 400 HP.
Spend the money you save on a large cooler somewhere around 24000 pound towing capacity should be good and install an inline transmission filter on the return cooler line (the one that goes to the rear cooler fitting.) Be sure to get a flex band for the intermediate band and a new piston assembly for the reverse servo. If your front servo is a "C", "R" or "H" I would say use it. if it isn't one of those three you might consider buying a "C" servo because it has the highest holding force of all the stock servos.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts