Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If and when i buy a converter for my c5/c4 what bolt pattern would i need? 10.5 11.5?

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
Depends on what case/bellhousing and flexplate you have..

Case fill 157T flexplate = 10.5
Pan fill or case fill with 164T = 11.5

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no clue what would a 83'C5 be with a v8 and how to tell from case fill or pan? i guess i could always just switch the bell and flexplate out?

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
Pan fill ,the dipstick screws into the side of the pan.Case fill dipstick goes in to case with o'ring. Pan fills are 164tooth flexplate,case fill are mostly 157tooth though some do have 164. Look in the sticky posts i think there are pics somewhere to show how to tell difference.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK i went and looked today it looks like a casefill c5. Iam about to buy a conveter and, iam tring to figure out which one is the right one 11.5 or the 10.5? Where would the numbers on the bell be to tell rather or not its 164 or 157 if there even is? Sorry i don't know much about this c5/c4 trans i got becuse it was with the car when i got it my dad did the c5-c5 converson. for him to use a c4 converter he would have had to get rid of the C5 bell correct?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Keep in mind that you have to buy a converter for the C4 and not a C5. The C4 converter has to match the C4 bellhousing that you have. The flex plate / ring gear has to match both the converter and bellhousing.

If you remember that you should be fine.
Paul

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A mixed breed C5and C4 bell and VB has been changed NO LOCK UP JUNK that the c5 had but the case is a C5

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK how about this the conveter i might be getting is a superstreet fighter TCI that i found somebody selling here local . I have no ideal what bell/flexplate i have I know its a case fill . can i just buy a the right bell/flexplate to match the converter later thats if i don't already have the right setup?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
With a case fill you could have either. Yes you can by a flex plate to match the converter.
Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts