Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
ok, so maybe iron 289 heads are weak for performance unless you modify them out the a$$ and aluminum heads would be better but aluminum heads worry me since they're aluminum. Will they last 100k miles on a daily driver that might get raced once in awhile and hold up with all temp changes? I've never had a pair.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hiya Blue65, After all the years I've been on this site I've never checked out this forum.....my loss! Anyway, great looking port work!

If I read your post right those heads are super stock? Tell me if these 289 Hi-po heads I got are ported any good then, your numbers are great and you said you have bigger valves in them so that helped even more.

My hi-po heads have been ported but have the stock size valves in them still and they flow numbers as follows:

Intake:
Lift Flow
200 127
300 172
400 191
500 208.6
600 213.3
700 217

Exhaust:
Lift Flow
200 100
300 132.5
400 160
500 178
600 182.5
700 183

These heads do have the screw in studs and spring saddle or whatever you call it and new valve guides and valves and valve job. I got these heads from a SS racer who ran 289's all the time and ran high RPM's to make the HP. I plan on using these heads on my 289 for a mild build say around 280-300 hp and wonder if bigger valves would be worth it or not. I might be able to port them more myself but how much does it cost for bigger valves anyway?

Hey Rick! Sorry for taking so long to get back. The heads aren't superstock heads. They're just, for lack of a better term, fully ported 289 heads. I basically used them to learn on at the race shop where I used to work. Yes the heads had larger valves in them. They were valve jobbed for a 1.94 intake and a 1.55 exhaust. If the flow numbers are accurate with the 1.78 intake valve, and the 1.45 exhaust valve, I don't believe I would mess with them. I have seen that when you increase the valve size in the stock iron sbf heads there isn't enough material to get the proper cross sectional area over the short turn to make them perform properly. Well, I guess I shouldn't say there isn't enough material because there is, but the port walls start to get very thin.

You have enough cylinder head to support your desired power level and then some. The intake flow appears to be legit, but the exhaust looks a little inflated to me. I'm not saying they're not accurate, but I know porting a stock 289 exhaust only sees about 160 cfm without doing some serious work. You might see those number by going to a steeper seat angle, but I don't have any experience with the steeper seat on the exhaust. The good thing is the ports don't stall, which gives you the ability to run lots of lift.

Don't be fooled that stock iron heads are weak on performance, that's a myth. Yes, they have their limitations but if the engine is built properly they can make good power. Competitive superstock 289s are making ~500hp or more on stock cast iron heads. Keep in mind that these guys put tons of money into their cylinder heads. I've heard they can go in excess of 10 grand.

If you can get the compression to 10.5:1, and run a ported single plane, and choose an appropriate camshaft to suit your needs. There is no reason you couldn't see 425 to 450 HP with your iron heads.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Hiya Blue65, I just got the heads back from the shop where I had them do a better valve job and put take the knurled guides out and put in new guides with the steeper seats like you mentioned. I also got a good price on new 7/16 rocker studs and valve seals, I've got the heads painted and will post some pics soon.

All my engine build plans are delayed now since I got laid off a my temp job so now it's back to pounding the pavement for another job! I really dislike this economy these days.....I only want a new 300hp engine and tranny and some gears...is that asking to much?! I can only laugh and keep moving on.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Don't be fooled that stock iron heads are weak on performance, that's a myth. Yes, they have their limitations but if the engine is built properly they can make good power. Competitive superstock 289s are making ~500hp or more on stock cast iron heads. Keep in mind that these guys put tons of money into their cylinder heads. I've heard they can go in excess of 10 grand.

If you can get the compression to 10.5:1, and run a ported single plane, and choose an appropriate camshaft to suit your needs. There is no reason you couldn't see 425 to 450 HP with your iron heads.
THOSE guys (the S/S guys) are nuts too. And dont ask them their secrets, OR HP... they spout off the NHRA corrected hp no's of 210 hp or whatever... ;)

Ricky thats why in your other post I think i said to run those heads.. (maybe just thought it cant remember now :D ) (the one with the pics of the bowls)

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Yup, those are the ones I'm using....there all painted and bagged up ready and willing.....:D

I just need to start gathering the other parts when I can but the heads are done. I know a lot of other guys would go with some aluminum head but for my needs these iron ones will work fine. I plan on doing a mild bore and stroke too, say something like a 306 or so. Since the valves are stock size to big of stroker kit would be wasted but I do want to take advantage of the good port job done on them.

I sprayed them with Duplicolor Ford Corporate Blue or Ford Dark Blue and put a coat of clear over them. They really shine bright here since the flash was on. I wanted the 302 color blue since I like it better then the early Ford Blue.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yup, those are the ones I'm using....there all painted and bagged up ready and willing.....:D

I just need to start gathering the other parts when I can but the heads are done. I know a lot of other guys would go with some aluminum head but for my needs these iron ones will work fine. I plan on doing a mild bore and stroke too, say something like a 306 or so. Since the valves are stock size to big of stroker kit would be wasted but I do want to take advantage of the good port job done on them.

I sprayed them with Duplicolor Ford Corporate Blue or Ford Dark Blue and put a coat of clear over them. They really shine bright here since the flash was on. I wanted the 302 color blue since I like it better then the early Ford Blue.

Cool Deal Rick! Keep us updated on the progress, and good luck with the job search!

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Coming from someone who has ported their fair share of 289 heads, those look really good! I ported mine without the aid of a flow bench, and they did pretty well. They pushed my 3300# pump gas, flat tappet 6800 rpm 306ci mustang to a best of 7.48 @ 93 in the 1/8 naturally aspirated, and 6.74 @ 103 with a 200hp plate. Toploader 4-speed car, and served as a daily driver. Car ran 10.63 @ 126 in the 1/4 on the bottle.

The new 306 built with better heads is pretty much the same as the old engine, except for the heads. (Twisted Wedge 170's I ported... don't have flow numbers, though) It didn't pick up much n/a, but went 10.15 @ 134 on the bottle. I guess the little 289 ports just didn't have enough cross section to flow all the nitrous on top of what the engine was sucking in on it's own. :) But, DID seem to do well enough to handle a n/a 306ci engine shifted at 6800 rpm just fine.

I had the heads flowed after a decade or more of abuse, old valves and a worn out valve job... and they flowed:

Intake -- Exhaust

.1 063 -- 050.9
.2 119 -- 101.3
.3 168 -- 132.8
.4 201 -- 157.1
.5 210 -- 175
.6 218 -- 176.6

The intakes came out to around 155cc, and the exhaust 55cc. (1.94"/1.60" valves) They were just ported by 'eye', and seemed to work pretty well for what they were. This was done back in the days before the internet, right before all the aftermarket heads came out. They whooped up on more than their fair share of Chevies back in my late night street racing days. ;)

For the exhaust port, I remove the 'step' and make the roof a straight shot to the back of the bowl. You lose a small amount of the guide, but it still works just fine.

Mine are C6 castings with the dog-leg exhaust port with the bosses made for the thermactors. I don't believe your C5 heads have that, and are probably more efficient.

I will also agree that 1.94"/1.60" valves are probably not optimal on these little heads. The 351W size of 1.84"/1.56" (I believe, that's the measurements) fits better. The bowl is getting really thin with the bigger valves, and the short side turn seems to get compromised.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Thanks Mike! I didn't port them but I'm sure to enjoy someone elses work...:D

There's more pics of the porting under my other post. http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/home-porting-cylinder-heads/512217-289-hi-po-heads.html

Sounds like you got quite a nice Stang yourself and it runs 10's in the quarter on the bottle....that's great! What does it run in the quarter off the bottle? I won't be racing my 66 but would like to know what she does, I'd be happy with a 13.50. I know that's slow these days but I still want to drive her on the highway and cruise for fun. You know racing gets very expensive and cruisin don't. ;)

Here's a pic of my heavy 66....she's sweet.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts