Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm helping a friend out with his C6 and had a few questions about shift kits and servo levers.

Normally when I build a C4, it's for a hot rod and a no brainer (for the application) to go with a manual valve body. Since this C6 is for a truck and will need to keep the automatic functions what sort of shift kit would you recommend? I see that TransGo and Superior both offer kits.

One of the items that we did go with was one of the billet "R" servos. The servo lever is a new thing to me though. Ours is an "A" lever. I did a search and saw that it has a 1.65:1 ratio. I see that others have a better ratio, but would it be worth changing? How exactly do you change out the lever? I fooled with it a little but didn't see how to remove the hinge pin.

I appreciate any feedback,
Gerald.

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Use a 67-2 transgo kit.
Just go with the servo ,leave the lever. Too much servo and lever multiplication can crack the case.

·
Registered
861 Posts
If you really want to replace the lever there is a welsh plug in the front.

But like Greg says. You can split the case.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have another question. How many welsh plugs does the C6 have in it?

I ask because we found a welsh plug in the bellhousing area and we don't know if it came from the tranny or is just road debris (he didn't have an inspection cover at the time). I check the welsh plug for the servo lever and it's still there.

Sorry about asking, but I don't have an ATSG for the C6 and the Haynes doesn't really talk about any welsh plugs.

Thanks again,
Gerald.

·
Registered
861 Posts
That's probably out of the starter.
There is only one in the transmission.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The C6 is up and running and my neighbor tells me it shifts about a 100x's better than before. I appreciate the advice on the TransGo shift kit, it really seems to work well with the Sonnax servo.

One more question for you guys. This C6 is behind a 351M engine and it's missing the inspection cover. Can I get this inspection cover from any engine (windsor) or does it have to come from a Modified engine?

Thanks again for all the help,
Gerald.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Any cover should work.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys, I measured the bolt hole spacing on the bell and came up with 10" from hole centerline to centerline. I looked at a C6 cover from a 351W and it only had 9" from hole to hole.

Does anyone have a C6 cover with the 10" spacing that they would sell?

Thanks,
Gerald.

·
Registered
861 Posts
just get a chunk of sheet metal and make one.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The home made inspection cover works pretty well! Thanks again for the help in this successful build!

Gerald.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another question. I filled the unit with Merc III instead of type F. It seems to shift fine, but it has a shudder when you take off in first. I don't know if it's the engine missing or tranny slipping.

The truck has big tires and not a lot of gear.

Did I make a mistake in the fluid and is going to kill the unit?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Definitely has a shudder in 1st gear when the truck first starts to go. The truck has 35x12 tires and I'm not sure about the gear but it feels like it struggles a bit to get going.

I'm going to help him out with a tuneup and see if that helps. If the shudder is coming from the tranny vice the engine, what are some potential causes and how could I help him out with it? He said the truck had the shudder before the build and he's fine with it, but I like to make a project or job as perfect as possible!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts