Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into a 460/C6 conversion in a 390 63 1/2 Galaxie.
There are two C6 transmission lengths for BBF motors.
Does anyone know the dimensions please?
Also which one will go into a 63.5 Galaxie?
Do I need different mounts too?

If the world was fair then nodding and looking at your watch would be an acceptable response to "I Love You"...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tony.k on 1/4/02 8:05am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
There are 2 length C6's to go behind a 460.Both have the same case but the difference is only in the length of the extension housing + output shaft.The lengths are 34+1/4"(870mm)and 38+1/4"(970mm).The shorter one is the best for most conversions and uses a standard rear mount.The longer one has a different rear mount that mounts diagonally to the side of the ext housing.The longer one may require some fabrication of the crossmember to fit.I'm not sure which one will fit the galaxie.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Greg.
I know the shorty is the most common.
The long one was mainly for Transit vans etc.
All Aussie cars use the shortie for a direct bolt in replacement for a C4 FMX 4spd etc up to XF.
The Galaxie will be a shortie too I reckon but I didnt know what length to look for without crawling under my ute.
I am going to look at a 460/c6 combo (in parts) on weekend ($900 the lot) and wanted to make sure I was getting a useful trans.
The parts include an Offy POS which I need for my propane 460, and a mate will take the rest off me for a Galaxie conversion. Its has a set of new 30 over pistons in boxes with it and a full set of gaskets. Unfortunately only D8VE heads though

Still... price is OK.

If the world was fair then nodding and looking at your watch would be an acceptable response to "I Love You"...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tony.k on 1/4/02 11:33am ]</font>

·
Registered
18 Posts
I replaced the FMX in my 71 LTD with a C6 from a 72 Cougar last summer and it was a direct bolt in as far as the crossmember and drivesaft were concerned. Shifting linkage will be a bitch if you want it on the tree, I installed B&M floor shifter in and am quite happy with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts