Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1970 Torino that I am in the process of a full restore. It sat in a field roughly 30 years, needless to say there was a lot of rust and basically everything had to be replaced. I just got the engine running last week, hooked up disc brakes tonight and decided to try out the transmission for the 1st time. It is a column shift and the shifter seems to be working, it is moving the linkage underneath when put into gear, however the transmission wont engage. What could be the problem here? I still have not connected the radiator and I haven't checked the vacuum line to the trans but I'm sure it is dry rotten or missing. I'm open to suggestions as I would like to avoid having the remove the engine and trans for a while, I was saving that for the final part of the restoration.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Check fluid level first, top off. if no joy, probably time for rebuild, maybe why it was parked so long ago.... :(

·
Registered
326 Posts
they probly didnt park it because The car worked just fine ! LMAO......

top fliuld off , be sure the linkage is turning the tranny selector...no move=rebuild time ...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the car was only registered once in 69, thru original owner was born in 1909 so im guessing that after he died the car didn't move. There are coolant lines running to the tranny, im going to drop the pan and change the filter and fluid this afternoon then flush the radiator and hook it back it. Hopefully i can get it working without having to do a full rebuild.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts