Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
1966 Galaxie
Discussion Starter #1
Alright my c6 has been rebuilt to stout performance level, the only thing i would like to do now is a few other add ons.
1. Aluminum deep pan

2. Billet R servo.

I have the L servo now, not sure which apply arm yet.
Some say the L servo is one of the better ones to have, but then their is all the hype about the "R" so....

while i have to take off the pan, i can identify arm, then see if its a good match for R servo.

My main question is - I cant find any good schematics or info, telling me how to remove the arm if i need to.
I have read that its easy to get to while the TC is off and front of case is open. So i assume the pin or bolt is in the front of case.
Which is why i ask the question now before i install back in car and then say oh, i wish i would have put the servo in while i had everything apart.

Thank you for any responses馃憤

Registered
Read this thread.

Registered
Aluminum deep pan, I got the Summit 鈥渘o logo鈥 deep pan for my C6.
Nicely made and comes with filter and extended pickup tube.
Best one out there IMHO.

I did get different fasteners for it tho.

Registered
1966 Galaxie
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, a will take a look at that pan.
I will be tapping into each line at transmission
for gauges / direct in and out temps.

What type of different fasteners did you use?

Registered
I too got the Summit no logo pan. Great piece! I built my C6 with the Superior R servo conversion and a B lever. That is PLENTY. Do NOT use the F or FF apply lever as it will break the case , many have proven that in the past. I also used their 3 way ( performance) kit for the valve body , along with a full rollerized wide ratio conversion. It is going behind a 700 hp 545 CI (460).

Registered
1966 Galaxie
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, nothing like real world reviews of parts馃憤gonna order that pan when i get back home.

Enjoying a little time Blueridge/foothills of NC.
Will take some time to stop and talk to a few Old backroad racers, wet a line, maybe sip a little " Who hit John "

Registered
Thanks guys, a will take a look at that pan.
I will be tapping into each line at transmission
for gauges / direct in and out temps.

What type of different fasteners did you use?
Well, I got the Moroso re-usable C6 pan gasket...

Moroso Transmission Pan Gaskets 93108

... and it's much thicker than a stock type cork or paper gasket, so had to get slightly longer pan bolts.
(maybe didn't "have to" get longer, but I hate having bolts with not enough thread engagement and the risk of stripping the bolt hole)

I think I got Allen socket head cap screws about 1/4 inch, or maybe 3/8 inch longer than the bolts that came with the pan.
I also got some stainless washers for them too.

Probably nothing wrong with the bolts that come with the pan.
but the ones I got were chromed and I just didn't like the "feel" of them, if that makes any sense...

Premium Member
I built my C6 with the Superior R servo conversion and a B lever. That is PLENTY. Do NOT use the F or FF apply lever as it will break the case , many have proven that in the past. I also used their 3 way ( performance) kit for the valve body , along with a full rollerized wide ratio conversion. It is going behind a 700 hp 545 CI (460).
I just got a Superior servo to try in a build , very nice piece . The Sonnax are nice but I've had to machine every one I have used .

What servo spring did you use ? The Superior one feels stiffish but only measured up 25lbs @ installed height

The Trans I am freshening is pretty sweet inside other than band wear that is a combination of a small N servo and Narrow solid band . I'm going to reuse the factory return spring and stick with the A lever as a test . Motor is one of the original Ford Motorsport 560HP crate motors

Registered
Greg,
I read some "user" replies and went with the original spring from the N servo. I used a narrow kevlar strap band on mine so I didn't have to cut the wide ratio sun shell to clear the wide band. I also took out half of the reverse piston springs for a softer reverse engagement. I hope that doesn't bit me in the aXX!
Randy

Registered
1966 Galaxie
Discussion Starter #13
Just out of curiosity.
With the different servos, different apply arms, etc.
Who or what at Ford determined what C6 got which combo? Is there a factory listing of what car/truck/engine package, determined what it got what?
Example - The transmission Im using came from a 73 f250 camper special, 390/C6/dana 60 3.73.
So did that combo call for the c6 to have an "L" servo with a certain apply arm?

Registered
Greg,
I read some "user" replies and went with the original spring from the N servo. I used a narrow kevlar strap band on mine so I didn't have to cut the wide ratio sun shell to clear the wide band. I also took out half of the reverse piston springs for a softer reverse engagement. I hope that doesn't bit me in the aXX!
Randy
Half the springs in the low/reverse?

Might have a really firm or harsh 2-1 manual downshift.

Also on a manual 1-2 upshift the L-R clutch may not release quickly enough, causing a tie-up.

Registered
Just out of curiosity.
With the different servos, different apply arms, etc.
Who or what at Ford determined what C6 got which combo? Is there a factory listing of what car/truck/engine package, determined what it got what?
Example - The transmission Im using came from a 73 f250 camper special, 390/C6/dana 60 3.73.
So did that combo call for the c6 to have an "L" servo with a certain apply arm?
I鈥檓 sure there is 鈥渟ome鈥 rhyme and reason for which vehicle gets which servo and lever.

I don鈥檛 know where to find that info.....

Premium Member
Greg,
Randy
Thanks Randy . I'm sticking with the Factory spring also on this one . Gives me piece of mind .
I do wonder why the Sonnax and now Superior give these lighter springs

I've only ever tried the heavier of the Sonnax springs (which is still light at 30LBS) as a test , but was one of those builds that the guy is all friendly until he gets the trans then never hear boo from him. That trans had a really light odd spring originally that someone had tried to sort a 2-3 downshift issue that was the valvebody anyway

Premium Member
I'll try this half spring deal and see.
As in the lighter spring ? I'm kind of curious how much the spring affects the band release when it is getting pressure fed there on the 2-3 shift . I'm staying with the factory spring on the build I'm doing now

I'd like to know the reasoning why both Sonnax and Superior give these springs in the servo kits

1 - 20 of 24 Posts