Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! just installed a TCI streetfighter tranny with a 1800 stall converter in my '63 Galaxie 500 conv. (running EFI on a 460ci/7.5 engine - see picture ). I notice that at high rpm's off the line, the shift points are barely noticeable (a good thing), nice and quick. BUT, in highway driving, the shifts feel like someone is kicking the ass of the car! I called TCI and they say that is expected in a competition type tranny... are they correct? Is this normal? Thanks!
Bart in FL

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Yep, its normal for the 'package' you ordered. Hard firm shifts, usually longer trans life for high output combos, if trans is kept cool enough. Heat is the greatest transmission's enemy.
HTH,

MRO.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, its normal for the 'package' you ordered. Hard firm shifts, usually longer trans life for high output combos, if trans is kept cool enough. Heat is the greatest transmission's enemy.
HTH,
MRO.....
Thanks, makes me feel better!
I installed a tranny cooler with a fan to fight the heat... cooler that came with the trans couldn't be used as I didn't want to cover any more of the radiator than necessary and the remote mount location was under the passenger side of the car...

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Btsave, in a general sense, what you're experiencing is generally 'normal'. While a modulator (if installed as asked) is included, the shifts will be a bit softer at light loads, but not substantially. When driving a built trans, you develop a driving style to compensate, realizing that a loaded chassis will actually feel like a softer shift. In this case, leaning a bit on the throttle at shift points softens the feel. Worst case is backing-off the throttle, where it feels like you were hit in the bumper with a sledge hammer.

However, if the shift is too harsh, I would ask TCI for options to solve the issue. A modified performance trans should shift firmly and shove you in the seat at any throttle, but it should not 'bang' without benefit - if you see what I mean. If not shifting properly, the trans can release one gear at light load before applying the next, like clutching a manual trans. This can feel like a bang. Is there any momentary RPM increase or a softening of acceleration between gears at light load?

In the mean-time, I would find someone with performance driving experience to feel your trans. Perhaps a local car club member. They may be able to confirm if it's a hard 'normal' or if it's banging excessively. There is a difference.

David

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there any momentary RPM increase or a softening of acceleration between gears at light load?

David
Everything you said describes the feel... :) and there is no softening of acceleration at shift point on at light load.. when going 1-2 or 2-3, there is a decrease in RPMs... but no lag in acceleration.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Everything you said describes the feel... :) and there is no softening of acceleration at shift point on at light load.. when going 1-2 or 2-3, there is a decrease in RPMs... but no lag in acceleration.
Then, if we assume it's functioning properly, it's your call if it's something you can live with over the long-term. It's a "nature of the beast" thing. Lots of folks want more performance, but not everything that goes with it - with certain combinations and at some levels. That's a personal choice.
:tup:
David

·
Registered
580 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread Bart, but I was wondering where the brake master cylinder ect. is.
It looks like the mounting holes have been blocked off.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Picture was taken during painting of bay... here it is today.. soon to have a booster added to the system...
You have power steering? HydroBoost it. ;)

David

Day Bresnan's HydroBoost setup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have power steering? HydroBoost it. ;)

David

Day Bresnan's HydroBoost setup:

That's an idea that crossed my mind... BUT, have some concern that if I lose power steering (hose, pump, etc.) I would be driving with no steering and no brakes.... PLUS, recently needed to replace power steering pump and could not find a replacement, so did a rebuild... really don't want to place more work on the old girl... Great idea though, had a E350 Diesel Van with the same set up...
Bart in FL

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
That's fine, and although they work great, I don't push it unless you have clearance issues. I will note though, that if the engine quits or you throw a belt, you lose power steering, but you don't lose power brakes. That little gold cylinder in the pic above is a hydraulic accumulator. If you lose the pump, the accumulator gives you 2 or 3 full power braking strokes. It's a built-in safety backup. It's also no meaningful additional load on the pump, as that little cylinder is pressurized in a few seconds, and then there is no additional demand from the pump until you use your brakes again.
David

·
Registered
977 Posts
@ btsave.
2 Questions
1, Does your run hot with the raidiator set up? I was thinking of doing our 63 like you did when and IF I put in the H E I dist.
2,Nice engine. I'm finishing a 460/with a C6 that someone else started. I'm still gathering parts.NOW to the question . Do you or anyone on here have any pictures of the front of the motor? According to the casting #s it's between a 1972/74.
THANKS FOR ANY HELP that will help in ADVANCE..
OK. 1 more question did it fit in your 63 with out to much trouble?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's fine, and although they work great, I don't push it unless you have clearance issues. I will note though, that if the engine quits or you throw a belt, you lose power steering, but you don't lose power brakes. That little gold cylinder in the pic above is a hydraulic accumulator. If you lose the pump, the accumulator gives you 2 or 3 full power braking strokes. It's a built-in safety backup. It's also no meaningful additional load on the pump, as that little cylinder is pressurized in a few seconds, and then there is no additional demand from the pump until you use your brakes again.
David
I see... actually, now you have me very interested! How would I get the necessary components for my '63 Gal? have front disc (10"), & rear drums. Already have proportioning valve... Thanks in advance.
Bart in FL

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
@ btsave.
2 Questions
1, Does your run hot with the raidiator set up? I was thinking of doing our 63 like you did when and IF I put in the H E I dist.
2,Nice engine. I'm finishing a 460/with a C6 that someone else started. I'm still gathering parts.NOW to the question . Do you or anyone on here have any pictures of the front of the motor? According to the casting #s it's between a 1972/74.
THANKS FOR ANY HELP that will help in ADVANCE..
OK. 1 more question did it fit in your 63 with out to much trouble?
Hi!
1 -> yes... was running around 190 before I added the A/C condensor, then ran at 215-230. put in a larger radiator (Walker designed), water pump, moved battery to trunk to open up air flow, added larger electric fan and new overflow tank (pressurized) and now runs around 190-200, up to 205 at long idles.
2-> I'll try and take some pics later tonight for you... here's a link to my Galaxie pictures, specifically the engine rebuild after it caught on fire (backfired through original 4 BBL carb (?), when I had the air cleaner off, setting the engine bay liner on fire)

Burnt Engine Photos by btsave | Photobucket

3-> fit in fine, like it was made to fit. I believe that the 429 was an original engine for several of these models and used a similar sized block.

Bart in FL

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Looks like 429/460's were meant to fit right into a 63.5 Galaxie. Second picture shows the clearance between the front of the engine. Mine has two electric fans and trans cooler so no engine driven fan. Mine:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts