Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed transmission before and never had an issue. I am doing a swap in a 4x4 F150 with the E4OD tranny. Basically a C6 with overdrive from my understanding. I am currently putting the engine back in and the torque converter is hitting the flexplate. I have checked everything I can check and everything seems to be in order and I cant possibly the the converter any further onto the splines, it went up two good clicks and appears to be in the pump as well. It bottoms out good and solid, but still dont have enough room for it to spin to line up the holes and slide it forward. I have a tick over 1/2" clearance from the studs to the bell housing mating surface and a bit less from the snout to the mating surface but I can run a straight edge across the surface and not touch the converter anywhere. But if I measure from the block plate out to the flex plate mating surface I am needing nearly a full inch to have clearance. I have read different things different places and I certainly dont want to damage anything but some say I need to line up the holes and studs when mating the two together and some say I should have clearance to spin the converter. Does anyone know for sure what the true answer is? Here is what it looks like right now. The boards going across should give you a idea of how far in the converter is. They are above the snout so it looks like it is hitting but the snout is behind the boards.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
On all the Ford automatics I've hooked up I lined up the studs with the holes as there never is enough room to spin the converter after it's bolted up. If the converter is seated properly into the transmission when trans is bolted to the engine you should still be able to wiggle the converter back and forth slightly. The flexplate shouldn't be pushing the converter back. Measure through one of the flexplate stud holes to the block spacer plate and then from trans bell face to converter stud pads. It should be a slightly larger measurement on the bell to the stud pad. I hope this makes sense.

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
I agree with the post above. It sounds like you did already, but I wasn't 100% sure what your results were. Measure the distance from the back of the block plate to the rear surface of the flexplate and see if it is slightly less than the distance in your picture. Might only be 1/16th or 1/8, but there has to be a little clearance

If it does measure up, then you need to thread the needle LOL I

f it doesn't, maybe it requires a special flexplate, but I have never done what you are doing so I cannot say if your combo works by looking at it.

Also, be sure that you don't have a pilot bushing in the crank still and that the crank bore is the same size as the pilot on the converter.

I have never seen a studded converter spin behind the flywheel though. It has to be loose, so check to make sure it will move before tightening it, but you may only be able to feel the slop in the stud holes. IMHO, not one of Fords better ideas, but once you get it together, it's done

1 - 3 of 3 Posts