Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm reinstalling a 390 to the existing c6 in my '64 Galaxie. After 8 hours, I can't seem to get the studs on the torque converter to line up with the holes on the flexplate. I'm pretty sure I have the torque converter fully engaged (3 clicks) but the studs hit the flexplate on install. Are the tolerances so tight that I have to line up to the TC studs with the flexplate on install or is my converter to far forward? Should I slide the tranny back to make this easier? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The converter studs (4) must go through the flexplate before you bolt the case to block.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, at least I know I'm not insane for thinking so. Any tricks for getting these to line up?

Also, I got frustrated and "pulled" the tranny and block together with a few bolts. The flexplate didn't look bent or damaged so I hope all is OK.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tranny is the same as before. I think part of my problem is the limited room on the '64 given the large size of the c6 bellhousing. It seems that when I get the motor mounts lined up the flexplate is already hitting the torque converter and binding so I can't line up the converter studs. I'm thinking maybe I should bolt the motor down, then slide the tranny back 4 or 5" and try to line it up that way????

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
check the drainplug location. some c6 converters had drain plugs in them, and they have to line up with a hole in the flexplate.....if they dont line up, then the studs will not go through all the way. Hope this helps

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had this same problem last weekend. after two hours, I took the torque converter off and lines it up to make sure it would fit..it did. So then I had to figure out what was goin on. It seems that if you dont have the pilot lined up just right...it wont go. I had to start three bolts and pop the converter in from there...but most flexplates only have one hole next to each stud hole for a drain plug..so I would definetly check to see if it fit on first..

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey- I too did this last weekend...I wound up ruining the torque converter by getting a couple bolts started and pulling them together. On a c4, the TC must be inside the bellhousing 1 1/2 inches, AND once you are throu the flexplate. you should be able to wiggle the bolts. If they are stiff, you're not in alll the way.
Point is...If you force this together, you will waste time and 50$ for a new TC if you dont do it right. secondly, is the weight on the flexplate touching the engine plate when you bring the two together???

·
Registered
108 Posts
ya know...
It wasn't until I went to a tranny shop and had the guy show me where the tc was supposed to be b4 I got it all right.....

this "mating" is a little harder than people think

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the clues. Part of my prolblem is the angle at which I had to lower the engine in to mate it with the holes in the motor mount flanges. This really is harder than it looks. I think I'll pull the motor one more time just to make sure everything lines up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
All I did (after I got sick of messing with it.. 400's ain't freaking light!) was for the engine/tranny lined up, and just rotated the crank around untill the studs popped into their holes.. This is one area where the GM guys definetly have it easier!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I realize you have a c6 and not c4, but the concepts are the same. Let me tell you this... since I was in your shoes 3 weeks ago. its a hell of a lot easier to raise the car, pull the tranny, use plywood or some other type shims in a floorjack to get the tranny at the right angle and mate them up that way. plus, if you are off.... you just let the jack down a little and roll back. It only took me 45 minutes to do it this way...by pulling the engine, its hard to get your head in there to see whats going on...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey, thanks for the tip. I'm going to take your advice and pull the tranny back this weekend. Did you have to disconnect the driveshaft or was there enough room on the tailshaft to manuever it back and forth?

Thanks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I know this is old but now I'm in this same situation and found this topic from a search. Trying to "mate" my C6 to the 460 seems impossible. The TCI converter studs wont line the Hays flexplate holes???!!!

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
like said jack the trans up. f/plate -stud & drain holes a 6 0clock. and to make it even easy-- cut the heads off of two 7/16nc bolts 4" long , one on each side of the block. if it dosn't fall in -check the TQ conv. bolt pattern (bolt circle)to flex plate & crank pilot (always do this prior to install TQ/C into trans)

·
Registered
203 Posts
The motor and trans is on the floor. I tried lining up the flexplate and TC and I can get three studs in every direction but the fourth hole always seems like it is off. Looks like the flexplate hole needs to move out just a hair to line up right. Can I just file out the hole in the Hays flexplate a little???

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
The motor and trans is on the floor. I tried lining up the flexplate and TC and I can get three studs in every direction but the fourth hole always seems like it is off. Looks like the flexplate hole needs to move out just a hair to line up right. Can I just file out the hole in the Hays flexplate a little???
Are you sure that they sent you the correct flexplate? I think I would contact Hays before modifying the plate and possibly ruining it.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Dan,
We run a JW flexplate in front of a C4 and had the same problem,one hole was off just a little bit. I considered buying another JW flex but the engine was balanced using the first one so we did as you suggested and broke out a file and opened up that hole. As it turned out it only took a couple passes with the file. It appeared to be just a few thou and the TC
slipped right in. One additional thing I did was to run a piece of emery around the sharp edge of the bevel on the motor side of the TC.

I felt the file work was Mickey Mouse the first time we did it but since then I've built another engine and ran into the same issue with another flex plate. Our car is currently running 11:30s and the flex plate has not been problem with the slight file modification.

Gregg

It was just a few thousands, if it needs more I would contact Hays, or check the flex against another converter.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yes I'd say it's only a few thousands off. Just typical "bolt on" parts problems I'm guessing. Wish I had the old flexplate to check with the new TC or the old TC to check the new flexplate. Might need to try that first, then bust out the file. Thanks for the info!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts