Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My NEW TO ME 1968 Galaxie 500 everything is a guessing game. So much work done, but. Not right work and hackery. Its a 390 car. Heavily cammed. Ya the times Ive watched torque and response turfed for rumble. So bumped diff from 2.73 to 3.70 that should help off line, but. I got it and near had to rev out to catch a gear. Changed modulator and same. Gonna run vac but with power everything jerking I know its low. Im trying to live without cam swap till I drive for a summer. vac can will help power stuff .Will it help tran too, and do you all know of source for lower modulators....
Thank You

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
What is your vacuum now? A vacuum can will help brakes but won't do anything for the trans .
Where was the modulator set at ? How much preload is on the pin?
The vacuum is definitely full manifold vacuum and not ported vacuum?

I've run some pretty big cams and shifts can be still ok if set up right .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya well this is where this boys confused. Got the car. As I said everything needs some major work. Engine heads leak too. Whole drive line needs work, but. Just trying for one summer b4 major work. Tranny caught a gear when I got er. You had to rev it but it would. Pan was leaking so I pulled. Some dark debris (but it would catch a gear. Mod felt super orig and sticky and generally done. I put in new type F and new mod. No gears. Please explain this pin length. Would I go shorter or longer? Guessing shorter????
THANK YOU FRIEND

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hang on. You say preload. Hard to tell threading in,but. Preload suggests I want a pin atleast as long as what mod and tran housing engulf? How much extra???

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Need a dictionary to decipher what the heck your trying to say... must be getting old. Sounds like you have a 390 with unknown and mismatched parts as well as a C6 trans that needs a rebuild? You can certainly band aid things to get through but it is my experience that you will end up wasting a lot of $$$ and unhappy. With that said check out the link below, it will answer just about any questions you have about Ford transmissions. Btw its nice to another 68 fan.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Need a dictionary to decipher what the heck your trying to say... must be getting old. Sounds like you have a 390 with unknown and mismatched parts as well as a C6 trans that needs a rebuild? You can certainly band aid things to get through but it is my experience that you will end up wasting a lot of $$$ and unhappy. With that said check out the link below, it will answer just about any questions you have about Ford transmissions. Btw its nice to another 68 fan.

Don't try to figure me dude. Hurt your head. The point I'm at now is that when car came to me it dropped into gear at 1800 or so RPM. I got new modulator and changed fluid. Now nothing. I put old mod in and nothing. Hard to screw up an ATF change. I know it will need engine and tran work. That being said catching a gear (cause it was) should be possible. I've heard of changing pin length in modulator. Lengthen or shorten???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't try to figure me dude. Hurt your head. The point I'm at now is that when car came to me it dropped into gear at 1800 or so RPM. I got new modulator and changed fluid. Now nothing. I put old mod in and nothing. Hard to screw up an ATF change. I know it will need engine and tran work. That being said catching a gear (cause it was) should be possible. I've heard of changing pin length in modulator. Lengthen or shorten???
Well I've tried both. Longer and shorter. No tranny at all. Dip stick reads good, but I think it's a tad overfill due to how it pours out mod hole. How crucial are C6s to overfill?

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
The modulator will effect shift timing and firmness not gear engagement. If pan is full ( 7 qts) I would drop the pan, clean and change the filter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did. Thats where this started. Dipstick says full. Pan is full up to mod hole for sure but with less than 7 QT. Would 2 quarts low be enough to bugger engagement?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I did. Thats where this started. Dipstick says full. Pan is full up to mod hole for sure but with less than 7 QT. Would 2 quarts low be enough to bugger engagement?
Hello MeandSuzy,

A general rule of thumb is if there is fluid on the dipstick (assuming it's the correct dipstick) there should be enough for the transmission to engage in forward or reverse. If the transmission was never rebuilt chances are the seals are just old and tired and there's not enough pressure on the forward clutch to engage.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Answers here seem to be at a premium so just bought a functioning C6 from a 75 truck. Do a swap and see
Hello,

You want to make sure it's the right length tailshaft on the C6. The galaxie had the medium length tail shaft and usually 2WD trucks had the shorter one. They are not easy to switch, as it involves compete disassembly of transmission.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
. Hard to screw up an ATF change.
Ok now I didn't make out in your first post it had NO gears . I took it as hanging on before it shifts

Now it must have the correct filter and pan of which there is 3 different factory filters . Some can seal to the pan bottom if a 4WD filter is used with a shallow pan

Ensure the full line on the dipstick is about level at the pan line or just above . Run the stick along the outside of the tube .
Of course 2 qts low can cause no gears

·
Registered
33 Posts
Answers here seem to be at a premium so just bought a functioning C6 from a 75 truck. Do a swap and see
Could be my reading comprehension, but yeah.... my head hurts. You could have a myriad of problems but I'm guessing if it moved before and now it doesn't, with what you've done, it's either fluid level or like Greg suggested, you're closing off the filter inlet...... anyway, if you are going to change the transmission you ought to change the Convertor at the same time. If the gearbox is okay it shouldn't take 1800 rpm's to move your car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts