Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

The C6 tranny on my 65 Galaxie 500 is acting up. A couple of days ago, on a full throttle run, the trans shifted from 1st to 2nd gear and it grabbed like normal for a second, then suddenly it felt like it was in neutral. After that, whenever the trans shifts from 1st gear, the engine revs passed 3,000 rpm and won't shift in to second. When I put the gear selector from D to 2nd and upshift manually, it skips in to 3rd gear.

Shifting manually, it seems that 2nd gear doesn't want to engage and is basically like neutral. 1st and 3rd gear run normally.

Does this sound like an intermediate band adjustment will solve my problem? There was no clunking or mechanical sound when this happened so I am hoping it's nothing too serious.

Any input about this is appreciated as I am not very familiar with automatic transmissions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
check the vac. modulator on the trans....its on the right side of the trans pan....that is about the only thing that goes bad on the C6...they are damn near bulletproof transmissions

·
Registered
94 Posts
Check the adjustment screw for the band. It may have backed out. If not, adjust. If it will not adjust, band has failed, linkage fell out, or some other failure. These are in-car services. Don't pull the transmission yet. If band adjusts properly, servo piston seal failure.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I hope its an easy fix, but bet the band broke...:(

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I adjusted the intermediate band and the adjuster went in several turns from where it was. Torqued it to 10 ft/lbs and then backed it out 1.5 turns as per the manual. Sadly, not change at all. It still seems to be freewheel in second when shifted manually and when in auto, first gear revs passed 3,000 rpm then when I back off the throttle a bit, it shifts momentarily in to second then immediately in to third gear.

After my test drive, as I parked the car, the shifter now won't go in to park! Somehow, the shifter now seems to be out of adjustment and I get neutral just passed the reverse lock out detent and after it. Could it be that the shifter was also out of adjustment which led to the initial problem?

It's passed midnight now in Dubai so I will have to check this tomorrow. :(

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
If the shifter is out of adj, it maybe a related problem. Or maybe THE problem.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Since the description of the problem has changed a little, you need to address two issues:
- one, the shift linkage may be out of adjustment...usually does not just go out of adjustment. Something is bent or broken. More likely an external issue.
- two, 1-2 shift not upshifting correctly...as previously mentioned, swap out the modulator

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, here's an update;

I checked and readjusted the shifter linkage. Nothing seemed loose but the lever on the tranny wasn't going in to Park. The only thing I did before this happened was adjust the intermediate band. So, I backed off the adjuster bolt of the band roughly to where it was originally and the shift lever easily went in to park.

When I went back to adjust the band, the adjuster bolt no longer met with any resistance and could be screwed in beyond the lock nut! I am assuming this is a sign of a broken intermediate band. :(

Modulator is holding vacuum pressure so it doesn't seem to be the cause of the initial problem. :(

So, as it is now, I'm back to square one- no second gear when shifted manually or on automatic mode.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
it broke the band and the broken end is bloking the linkage inside transmission.They make a snap in band for that where you only remove pan and valvebody. Transpartsonline.com part#R36022S $28.00

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup, it seems that I may have a broken intermediate band.

Is it safe to drive in this condition? Our Galaxie is a daily driver and our only means of transportation. Plus, I will have to order the parts I need since I can't them here in Dubai. :(

It's strange that I never heard anything snap or that the transmission operates normally, albeit without second gear. Fluid is still pink as it ever was without any hint of a burnt smell.

If its not a good idea to keep driving, ill have to keep her parked and get a rental until I get hold of the parts.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, btw, Speez12. I checked out the site and it says 66-68 Galaxie. Though, I would assume this would still work on my transmission since it is a C-6, right? If so, this would definitely be great news as its not expensive and I imagine, it's something I can do myself.

Also, thanks for all the input so far from everyone. You have all been extremely helpful. :)
ImageUploadedByAG Free1353701480.989335.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts