Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After searching the existing threads to the best of my ability I could not find one that mentions this.

The transmission pan on the c6 tranny in my GTA is leaking. I just took a peak the other day when I sent to the storage place and there looks to be a good 1/2 qt. on the floor underneath.

I need a new pan.

The previous owner told me it leaked but just a few drips here and there which I saw in the month or so I had it in my garage before I stored it for the winter. Maybe the cold contracted the metal a bit more and leaked more?

Regardless I was told it leaks where it bolts onto the tranny. Like the screws pulled through the metal. So where should I get a new pan? I've seen $30 chrome ones on ebay and 200 +2 qt. on other sites.

so:
1. Does anyone recommend the extra pan size?
2. does $30 sound suspiciously cheap to anyone?
3. Should I see if I can get one at a junk yard?

Here is a link to one of the $30 ones:Ford C6 Automatic Transmission Pan Chrome Steel Stock Capacity | eBay

Recommendations please.

P.S. I could care less if it's chrome or not. It's not a show car.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Are you positive it is the pan that's leaking and not the shift selector shaft just above it, the cooler lines, or one of the servo covers? If it is the pan, they usually leak from over-tightening, which warps the flange. A new one is the easiest answer. Extra capacity is not necessary unless used for serious racing.

If it's not the pan leaking (it just runs down and drips from there), then let us know what it is, and we can suggest the easiest fix.

David

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you positive it is the pan that's leaking and not the shift selector shaft just above it, the cooler lines, or one of the servo covers? If it is the pan, they usually leak from over-tightening, which warps the flange. A new one is the easiest answer. Extra capacity is not necessary unless used for serious racing.

If it's not the pan leaking (it just runs down and drips from there), then let us know what it is, and we can suggest the easiest fix.

David
I am not 'positive'. Just going by what the previous owner told me. He told me he tried replacing the gasket (or flange, is that the correct terminology?) and it still leaked. He seemed to be very knowledgeable so, currently, I just assume he was correct that the screws pulled through causing a 'tear' in the pan itself. Or is this not possible because of the gasket/flange? One of my first orders of business when I get it out of storage is to get it on a lift and check it out again.

If it is the 'shift selector shaft' or the cooling line are they easy fixes?

·
Registered
326 Posts
just get a new oem pan (not ebay cheap) and redo/new oring the shift shaft .. It sucks as you need to drop the valvebody (very simple ) and replace two orings.

the shift shaft selector is the common leak area. it is right ontop of the pan so it leaks onto the pan and makes the pan look like its leaking ....

Overall messy job,but real easy ...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just get a new oem pan (not ebay cheap) and redo/new oring the shift shaft .. It sucks as you need to drop the valvebody (very simple ) and replace two orings.

the shift shaft selector is the common leak area. it is right ontop of the pan so it leaks onto the pan and makes the pan look like its leaking ....

Overall messy job,but real easy ...
Thanks man!

I'll be honest with you, I don't even know where to get a new OEM pan. Link? And what about the other parts?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there anyone that can give me a link to the shift shaft o-rings/seal so that I can buy one of those as well? I'm not sure exactly what it is so I'm having difficulty searching for it online. I've read on other forums about the issue and I figure I'll just change that out regardless while I'm at it.

Also, is it a difficult job taking off the valve body to get to it? My trans has a manual valve body if that matters. From what I've seen in pictures it would seem as though I'd be removing the filter as well? Does the valve body just have a couple bolts holding it in or something? What all is involved with that?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts