Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1969 Ranchero GT with a C6 transmission. It was working fine a couple days ago. I go to put it in gear to day and the order of gears is reversed. When in park it is in park. When in reverse or neutral it is in drive. Drive and below are reverse. It is a column shifter. What is causing the problem? I'm thinking it's going to need a rebuild.

·
Super Moderator
21,605 Posts
Check your linkage adjuster that's on the firewall and look underneath too to see if it slipped. Sounds like it could be just the linkage. If not then it might be the little lever things inside that's on the opposite end of the part that sticks outside the transmission and the little 'bullet' slipped on the 'comb'/knotched thing that you feel when it bumps into each gear.

Most likely just the linkage on the firewall area if it's like my car. Here's a pic of the adjuster on my '64 and if you have someone move the shifter while you watch you will find it.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
The linkage is fine. I also don't see how a misaligned linkage would cause gears to be reversed.
But, what else could cause gear order to be reversed? Especially all of a sudden, from sitting overnight. That is a real head scratcher!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But, what else could cause gear order to be reversed? Especially all of a sudden, from sitting overnight. That is a real head scratcher!
It really is. I'm getting really annoyed. I guess I'm just going to have to drop the pan and check it out. The only thing is I have never done anything with transmissions before. I have no idea what goes on with transmissions

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
It really is. I'm getting really annoyed. I guess I'm just going to have to drop the pan and check it out. The only thing is I have never done anything with transmissions before. I have no idea what goes on with transmissions
I think it is some kind of special voodoo. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts