Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
The bumps.Yes, just flatten them out and leave it at that. Don't take any more material out than you need to.

Not very many people porting heads anymore. I've done 3 sets now and I'm on my second go around on the ones I run now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bumps.Yes, just flatten them out and leave it at that. Don't take any more material out than you need to.

Not very many people porting heads anymore. I've done 3 sets now and I'm on my second go around on the ones I run now.
As I understood your post I should leave it in this condition (see photo).

I have no right for mistake because here is no machine shops to repair iron heads and another head from US will be very expensive.

What for this bump? What is under it?

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
The purpose for those bumps is nothing more then a flat spot when drilling the AIR ports. Have you ever tried to drill at an angle?

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
can the holes be plugged if not hooking anything up to the port in the back of the head?
The nubs are solid. I believe the only ones they are drilled on, are the California cars... and with those, the nubs will have a hole in them for the air to come out of. Even if they are drilled (CA application), a person should be able to plug the end of the head where the air is injected.

When porting these heads, I grind the valve guide boss out as well. From the port exit, it's a straight line to the back of the bowl. I do that, and have bronze guides installed. The intake ports need a LOT of work as well... as they are only 126cc stock. I ported the hell out of my 289 heads back in the day, and they were a whopping 155cc.

Performance wise, there is no reason to use these old heads. The cost to rebuild them is almost as much as buying a name brand aftermarket set. The only way I would fool with a set of stock heads anymore, was if I was BROKE, desperately needed an engine running, they were in perfect shape, and needed zero rebuilding. Then, any grinding you do is pretty much "free" horsepower. Other than that, buy a set of Edelbrocks or something.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
If the ports are drilled, there is no need to block or fill them, as we saw no negative effect from leaving them open. The exhaust simply blows past them like the open door on a skydiving airplane. Just blend the lumps and move-on.
:tup:
David

·
Registered
6 Posts
If the ports are drilled, there is no need to block or fill them, as we saw no negative effect from leaving them open. The exhaust simply blows past them like the open door on a skydiving airplane. Just blend the lumps and move-on.
:tup:
David
thanks, i'm blocking off the port in the back cause i don't want exaust to exit to back of engine. i think it's a 5/8nc if not mistaking

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
That's correct, but they are tapered for sealing. See here. Sold in pairs or sets of four at under $10 shipped.

David

1 - 11 of 11 Posts