Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im converting my 73 mustang to a T-5 and cable clutch. I was looking at hooker competition headers. They say they wont work in a 71-73 mustang with a manual. I thought i have heard that is only the linkage, and with a cable clutch the cable can be run through the header tubes, as long as you use header wrap on the cable and tubes. Anybody with any experience on what.

If that wont work, what headers will work for my application?

Do people use high temp sealent on the gaskets when putting their headers on? I would be using the gaskets that come with the headers.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
What's the engine?..If its the 302 in your sig there should be tons of headers that will fit since the engine bay is huge in a 71....

J-code 306 [email protected] build underway

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 10/23/06 4:15am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is the 302. On summit i coudlnt find ones that would work well. I dont want to spend a lot of money on the headers.

What did you end up doing Iethiopian? If i wrapped the headers and the cable would it still toast it?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
In my '65 I just made a bracket attached to the frame (or whatever works) to hold the cable away from the headers. It's worked great with zero problems for several years. You should have even more room to work with than what I had.

I had thought I could do the header wrap thing and be alright. Several people said it wouldn't work and would still get too hot. Never tried it.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Also no high temp sealant on my headers.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
On 2006-10-22 11:49, sharpshot71 wrote:
It is the 302. On summit i coudlnt find ones that would work well. I dont want to spend a lot of money on the headers.

What did you end up doing Iethiopian? If i wrapped the headers and the cable would it still toast it?
I personally can not say that if both were wrapped that it would not toast the cable, just talking from my own experience. I thought I had a straight shot at that mounting hole on the housing past the header tube but it just so happened that it was touching the tube ever so slightly. Just enough to toast the hell out of it. Was very frustrating when the cable seized up in the outer sleeve. I ended up using a Hydraulic set up and it is working out just fine.
Other options; would be a set of shorties, I sure there are no issues with routing the cable with headers that do not hug the bottom of the bell housing.
Relocating one of the tubes on your headers so that the cable has plenty of clearance (and still wrap the cable because those headers throw out a lot of heat).
Custom headers.
I know it is a royal pain in the ass when you have come so far and then run into one of these little snags. I think eveyone here has been there.
You could also try calling Bruce at Modern Driveline and see if they have any header recommendations for your application with the T-5 that would be a sure fit.
Good luck,
Ras Daniel

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I've heard there's a NASCAR high heat wrap you can wrap the header and cable with that WORKS. Never used it though....but it's something to look into

Cris

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Well have no experiance with your situation but as far as the header wrap goes, check with thermo-tec. they have sleeves that are designed for keeping wires and such from melting. The header wrap per-se is just to keep the heat in not to reflect the heat. The sleeve stuff they have i think is in the 1300ºF range. But Yes i agree that the cable should NOT be touching the tube at all.
Good luck

http://www.thermotec.com/products/full/full.html

5.0 block,B303,1.7 Rockers,beehives,'68 ported heads,Coated custom Must II headers,Edlb Airgap,Holley570,Msd Billet,Crane HI 6,Milodon 8 quart Deep Pan,2.5" 40 Flowmasters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 71hotrodpinto on 10/23/06 6:27am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The way it sounds is that it will be possible to make it work with the Hooker headers. I think the cable conversion kit has an extra long cable for some extra routing room. I will probably use some heat wrap, and keep it as far as possible.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Ditch the gaskets.......apply permatex high temp ultra copper on head surface........let it skin for 10-15 mins.....install headers and snug LIGHTLY!!!!........let fully cure for 24hrs,then torque to spec. ps: apply a thin even bead 1/8" in dia. and 1/8" away from port.

·
Subscriber
43 Posts
For what it's worth, I'm currently dealing with the same problem in my 68 Mustang. I put in the Modern Driveline cable clutch conversion kit, and the cable rubs at one point against the header tubes. I can't get it to go in exactly straight and pass through any of the tubes, so it comes in at a small angle, and brushes one of the header tubes at one point. The headers are some Hooker Super Comp knock off that came on the car. I'm going to change it with a permanent solution, but until then I first put a heat resistant sleeve around the cable, then folded a 3 ft piece of header wrap 5 or 6 times and wrapped it around the cable, where it rubs against the header tube, hot dog bun style, and secured it with zip ties. I've driven it around town and taken it on several long distance trips over the past month and so far, no problems. It'll only be temporary for me, but it seems like it should work even longer if needed.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I understand that it might be really hard on the headers, But I dont see how it would hurt the header if just one or two primaries are wrapped in one 4 inch spot. This will be a stock engine, and im sure the the wrap would already be a few inches or so from the head itself. this will be weekend cruiser too, not taken on long trips. I will do everything i can to keep the cable away from the headers, and only wrap the cable if possible.

So mainly what i am asking is that i will be able to route the cable around the header, and make it work.

What about sealent. Dont use the gaskets and just high temp copper sealent?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sharpshot71 on 10/24/06 1:59am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sharpshot71 on 10/24/06 2:00am ]</font>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts