Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally needed to get some new Carb Dip, I have been using the 1 gallon container with the basket. Called Napa and found out (I must be behind times) that you cannot buy the 1 Gallon buckets anymore here in Calif and I must purchase 5 gallons for $140 in order to dip a carb. What do we use here in this stupid state to dip our carbs in? I will be heading to Arizona in a couple of weeks, can someone tell me if it's the same over there?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I use acetone or lacquer thinner. Most of the time mixed. Not as good as the old carbide smelling carb cleaner, but about as good as I have found lately.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
The headline "Hot rodder busted for smuggling carbuertor cleaner across state lines"

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't use that stuff anymore. All you really need is a few spray cans of carb cleaner, an acid brush, a small metal pan, and compressed air.
That little straw that comes with the carb cleaner is perfect for cleaning those little passages, and the brush for any heavy crap. Then use the air on all passages, and to dry the carb parts. Do all your spraying of carb cleaner over the pan to catch the excess carb cleaner, which you can still use.
I used to use those cans of carb dip your talking about, but after a couple of carbs the stuff was so dirty I found they added more crap to the carb then clean it.
What I'm saying is you don't really need it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Gotta love CA! I think you can get the gallon bucket
carb cleaner in Arizona still. I've been using the other
method mentioned- seperate cans of cleaner.
About twenty years ago I learned that the dip cleaner
was pretty stout stuff..... while using it I got it all over
my bare hands, which then proceeded to blow up like
"puffer fish." Now you know why dip cleaner is banned
in CA. Because of morons like me

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Actually it probably got banned because people might be dumping it right in the garbage,street or down the sink. Instead of taking the used up portion to the recycling center. (like you can even find one within 100 miles anyways)
It only takes a few people to spoil it for the rest.
I agree with '289' just use a couple cans of carb clean for the passages , and some simple green and hot water for the body and the major cleaning. Squeaky clean!
good luck

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Needed to clean a carb that had sat with gas then slowly dried out since about 1980. Yes Arizona and Nevada still have the one gallon cans and a fellow member delivered a gallon to me from AZ. This is what we have been brought down to as Hobbiest, looked just like a drug deal going down in the parking lot of a truck stop, trench coats, dark sun glasses, money being handed over ect.

5 gallon containers still 4 sale here in CA, so when they get dumped it will do 5 times the damage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts