Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so everyone should no what a California special mustang is right?

I know that there is a kit that you can buy to convert your mustang to a California special mustang? Right?

I have been looking for the kit to convert my coupe to a California special mustang but I haven't been able to find a kit for any of the parts (truck, quarter panels etc.) Does anybody know of where I could find the kit or if it's called something else other than the California Special.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Try this place.
www.stang-aholics.com

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Iam sure there is a whole sale kit out there, but you can pick up the various components from any house.
I got my side scoops from Must Unlimited, MU also has the decklid kit, which includes qtr end caps. I am looking at Fiberglass specialties as well, as another post on here shows a quality piece.
Trick is finding one that doesnt require a total re work to get them on.
Its not a simple bolt and paint function.
For instance to get the NON functioning side scoops on, you have to remove the qtr windows and guide to get them on (67s you have to remove the fake vents, if you want function you have to do a lot more work and cutting on the car). You could bond them on, but I would be affraid of that.
Also, as with any panel you will have to do a lot of work on the pieces to get it to fit. Example side scoops are formed with flat mating surfaces, the side of the Mustang is anything but flat, curves, bevels etc. Many hours fitting, filling, fitting, filling to minimize the gaps.
I will post some pics soon on mine, still have yet to tackle the decklid and end caps. But I am sure they will be just as needy as the side scoops.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
I cannot assist someone in performing this travesty upon the beauty of a genuine Mustang.

But... It's your rig, go for it. The CA mustangs were made special for new cars, if you find anything for them it will likely be a piece at a time.

Here is what you need.

Marchal or Lucas Fog Lights, twist-type DZUS hood pins, side scoops, pop-open gas cap, rear spoilerhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoiler_(automotive) deck lid with end caps, and taillight panel with 1965 Thunderbird taillights (non sequential). And you're on your way to having one of the ugliest Mustangs ever produced. :)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The CS (and other regional versions) was simply a marketing exercise in the feasibility of FORD taking over SHELBY production during that time period. The deck-lid and quarter extensions were SHELBY conv pieces. They all came from the same parts bin.

I think they were beautiful, especially the conv.

There is even a cut-down SHELBY style FG hood to fit a regular production MUST.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
I talked to Marv at Fiberglass Specialties.com 702 293 5329. They make a lot of stuff for the big houses, MU, CJ etc. Take a look at Hottarods post, http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/mustang-pages-1965-1973/512587-what-plan.html
You dont have to have the Taillight panel, unless you want the clone, exact CS. I am not doing that, Marv makes a set of qtr end caps that retain the stock tail lights. IMHPO I think that is one of the best assets of a 67/68, the tail light panel. I do like the CS deck and scoops though.

I put the scoops on mine, ordering the deck like soon. I will beholding my beer myself. Depending on the hood you run, it can all flow really well. I am going with a 3 inch cowl.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts