Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Thats cool, but have a question... what happened in '63 and '64? the plates seem to have reversed in color yellow/black letters '56-'62 and '65-'68 were black/w yellow... 63-64 hmmm

But dang gotta pay for em and wait untill 7500 applications are filed before they will decide? and still not for sure if the plates will be issued? Hmmm

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
They started with the black plates in 63. The 65 has to be a misprint. And yeah, like any other vanity plate they have to get enough interest before they'll produce them. They start taking applications January 1 of 2013 and will begin issuing plates in 2014. I'll be filing my application come new years.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Years ago my brother was finally taking his (our family owned car since new) ’66 Fairlane back on the road after 15 or years of sitting in storage. He had fully restored it and was ready to roll again. Since it was “non-op” and un-licensed for so many years the DMV was telling him he had to re-register it and get new plates. Obviously he had the original black/yellow plates that came on the car when it was new and wanted to keep them.

The DMV said no, and that he had to get the new 7 digit white plates. He came back and said “Then I’ll get custom plates with my old license plate letters & numbers and then just put the old plates on. What’s the difference”? They came back with something like “Those letters/numbers can’t be used again because we’re going to have to leave them in the system”. Really? :confused: After much arguing they finally realized how stupid their policy was and agreed to just let him keep them and pay the past years licensing fees. Long story but somewhat interesting.

John

·
Registered
576 Posts
We don't have a "Black" plate here in Ky., but as long as the vehicle is 25 years old or older, and as long as you keep the current state issued plates in the vehicle. You can use the year of manufactor plate on the car, no questions asked... No paperwork, no problems, as long as the old plate is still legible or has been restored.

Seems like a lot simplier way to do it to me.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We don't have a "Black" plate here in Ky., but as long as the vehicle is 25 years old or older, and as long as you keep the current state issued plates in the vehicle. You can use the year of manufactor plate on the car, no questions asked... No paperwork, no problems, as long as the old plate is still legible or has been restored.

Seems like a lot simplier way to do it to me.
We can do something similar here in California, the trouble is finding the correct plates, and an original sticker. You'll drop $400 before you even deal with the DMV.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Don't know if Pa. has started but they may be allowing us to use tags from the year of your car. I think you'll need to go on line and see if the number on the tag is not currently in use. Sort of like personal tags only using the old colours. I have a 1960 Plymouth Suburban. In Pa. in the 40s, 50s, and early 60s, I believe station wagons were actually titled "Suburbans" by the state and your station wagon tag would have the year and "19XX SUBURBAN" stamped accross the top. Pa. required front and rear tags back then, and rear only now. I found a mint set of "1960 SUBURBAN" tags on Ebay for $50. If the laws change, I have really unique tag. My question is, the other day, I saw a guy with a 55 Ford with an original 1955 Pa. tag on the front and correct tags on the rear. As far as I know, you may not put any government issued registration plates on the front, even if obsolete? I believe there are only a few states that do not require front tags allowing you to add a personal statement to you car. Tell your state to drop the front tags and save some money.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Don't know if Pa. has started but they may be allowing us to use tags from the year of your car. I think you'll need to go on line and see if the number on the tag is not currently in use. Sort of like personal tags only using the old colours. I have a 1960 Plymouth Suburban. In Pa. in the 40s, 50s, and early 60s, I believe station wagons were actually titled "Suburbans" by the state and your station wagon tag would have the year and "19XX SUBURBAN" stamped accross the top. Pa. required front and rear tags back then, and rear only now. I found a mint set of "1960 SUBURBAN" tags on Ebay for $50. If the laws change, I have really unique tag. My question is, the other day, I saw a guy with a 55 Ford with an original 1955 Pa. tag on the front and correct tags on the rear. As far as I know, you may not put any government issued registration plates on the front, even if obsolete? I believe there are only a few states that do not require front tags allowing you to add a personal statement to you car. Tell your state to drop the front tags and save some money.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
LOL...post #10 & #8 are carbon copies 2+HRS apart....:eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts