1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 questions:

Slotted or Std. rotors for the swap

Single or Dual piston calipers

Wondering wether the stopping power would be that much better with the slotted rotors and dual piston calipers vs. the added cost.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Go with single/smooth. Its not worth it. Its more of a "LOOK AT ME!" kind of thing. Plus you wont have to worry about finding replacment parts later.

·
Registered
49 Posts
actually depends on your driving intentions. daily driver single piston caliper and plain rotors are fine. track time or heavy footed driving dual piston and slotted rotors will provide better repeated braking.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I am a firm believer in "simplicity".....less moving parts, less to go wrong.

I removed the original 4-piston Kelsey Hayes brakes and replaced them with later model ('72 LTD wagon) single piston for that reason, AND the fact that no aftermarket wheel would clear the HUGE 4-piston calipers.

But thats just my way of thinking....

Jim

1967 Galaxie 500 XL 390/4-speed
Toploader + Hurst = The ONLY shiftkit!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 673904spd on 11/20/06 9:00pm ]</font>

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input guys! I can get the Calipers at cost (buddy is parts manager for a GMC dealership) so I might go that route, I like the look of the machined aluminum body vs. the steel casting. probably go std smooth calipers as well.
Now i gotta get a list of other things together, dust shields, hoses, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts