Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm having some trouble finding caliper hardware for my 67 Galaxie. I have new calipers, pads and hoses, but still need the pad retaining plates and springs. I also need the fitting for the inlet line. I found all kinds of info on conversions here, but not much on oringinal replacement parts. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
:mad:

DAMN!

I have a parts source for KH and I can't find it. I'll be back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help guys.

Maybe springs was the wrong wording. There are 2 spring steel clips between the retaining plates and the pads.

As for the fitting, a 3/16 flare fitting will thread right in, but there's no seat in the hole for it to seal on. It looks like it might use a copper gasket? From the diagram I think 2208 would be the base number.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Are you talking about where the hose connects to the tube or where the tube connects to the caliper body?? I have the same brakes on my '67 and I just pulled the drivers side front hose today to replace it and the hose to tube was a standard brake fitting (so I assume you are talking about where the tube connects to the body of the caliper).

Got no further as I discovered Kanter sent me two passenger side hoses... Looks like I'll be calling them on Tuesday. :frown:

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Maybe springs was the wrong wording. There are 2 spring steel clips between the retaining plates and the pads.

I don't believe they are OEM. The retainers for the 67/69 are shown in the attached photo-

(EDIT/CORRECTION- 1967 FORD/MERC - 67/69 LINC)

Do you have one side still assembled and if so, can you post a photo?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
You just had to show me up huh? :)

To be truthful, I don't ever remember seeing those style of clips, but there were many design variances over the years (including GM and MOPAR).

Is there any Casting I. D. on the caliper housings or the retaining plate? You have me interested here... :confused:

PS- The fitting you are looking for, do you have a photo?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Here 'ya go-

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mump_1202_how_to_install_bolt_on_power_disc_brakes/

They are showing as part of a Stainless Steel conversion kit. I am not at my MPC to verify OEM. Contact them ans see if they offer just the service parts (retaining and anti-rattle clips).

Now look, I need to know what you find out as this appears to be a better system than what I have seen. Please post in this thread what you find out... :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's the fitting on the old caliper.

The casting number is 58080.

This setup seems to be a real mismatch of parts, or the listings aren't very good. The calipers are listed for a 67 Gal, they are correct, The first set of rotors I bought listed for a 67 Gal, didn't fit, had the wrong offset. I had to find a set for a 66 t-Bird. Now the caliper hardware I need is listed for a 66 Stang...lol

I really appreciate your guys help with this.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
That is a strange supply line setup.

Is the fitting the only thing you need? Were you able to find the correct hose?

You are either going to have to contact Master Power Brakes (it may be one of their KH -Piston retrofit kits - drum to disc) or identify the fitting by size and ordering it.

Sample shown below-

Godman Hi-Performance - Pipe to Inverted Flare

Again, let the board know what you find.

This is the trouble with kits. I would rather do a take-off conversion.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
:eek:

You ain't gonna believe this one...

I am sitting here pondering this supply line setup and begin looking through illustrations and guess what I come across?

That caliper style is from a LINCOLN.

EDIT- Upon further ciphering, the design is actually 65 BIRD and is used on FORD-MERC-LINC).

The Parts Ill (attached) will show you the fitting and PN. It is STANDARD PN 357444-S. It will be described precisely in a period correct STANDARD and UTILITY PARTS CATALOG of which I don't have for that period.

Possible Parts Source? Give them PN and description- http://www.lincolnlandinc.com/browseProducts/browse.php/PData/category~287

I really want to thank you for asking this here as I have really learned something... :tup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is a strange supply line setup..
Man is it ever.

Is the fitting the only thing you need? Were you able to find the correct hose?
Yes, and yes.

This is the trouble with kits. I would rather do a take-off conversion.
That's the wierd part, this entire setup came off my 67 Galaxie donor car. Although who knows what the previous owners did to it in the 40 or so years before I got it.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
It is the correct setup for a full sized car of the period. I think what thru me off is being more familiar with the FAIRLANE/MUSTNG setup(s).

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The retainers for the MUST I showed first will not work on the larger calipers (FAIRLANE/MUSTANG have smaller caliper housing). You need to source the retainers for the FORD-LINC-MERC-BIRD specific caliper.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.