Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
Macs wants 1.98 for a gas tank gasket, and 7 dollars to ship... So far, they won't put the gasket into a envelope and send it standard first class mail. Tried ebay, none to be found.

Isen't that something?. Anyone near a Macs store?.

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
I'm not by a Mac's, but I agree with you about shipping charges. When I can, I use outfits that charge actual costs on shipping, even if the item price is higher. While it all falls down to total end-cost, I'd rather see it in the costs of stocking and selling the product than the shipping. I tend to buy more at a time that way as well - just the opposite of what they probably think folks will do. Maybe I'm a bit different than most. The only obvious exception is Fleabay, where you can get a $200 item for 99 cents and pay $199 shipping, which lowers the cost (and final price to you) in the long run. The bottom line is always the bottom line.

David

·
Registered
289 Posts
Can't you just make one with the $2.99 gas kit 10"x14" sheet at your local parts store? Just take your old gasket, trace, then cut/x-acto like a mad man. Cheap and easy!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hello everyone,
Macs wants 1.98 for a gas tank gasket, and 7 dollars to ship... So far, they won't put the gasket into a envelope and send it standard first class mail. Tried ebay, none to be found.

Isen't that something?. Anyone near a Macs store?.
Not to be an ass but look at it from their perspective their shipping department is set up around UPS they box up the item put a label on it UPS picks it up and bills their account for the shipment. If they ship it postal someone has to take it down to the post office to ship it. Not very cost effective for them.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't you just make one with the $2.99 gas kit 10"x14" sheet at your local parts store? Just take your old gasket, trace, then cut/x-acto like a mad man. Cheap and easy!
No, it's kinda square and then round. It smushes when you put the sender in to make a tight, thick seal. The "roll" gasket making stuff is flat and won't seal that good.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not to be an ass but look at it from their perspective their shipping department is set up around UPS they box up the item put a label on it UPS picks it up and bills their account for the shipment. If they ship it postal someone has to take it down to the post office to ship it. Not very cost effective for them.
I understand that, but 7.00? to ship a what?. 3 inch, not even a 1/4 inch thick piece of rubber?. Don't you think thats a bit too much?.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I understand that, but 7.00? to ship a what?. 3 inch, not even a 1/4 inch thick piece of rubber?. Don't you think thats a bit too much?.
NO I do not! Box packing materials tape labor all cost money, for a $1.98 item that they are prolly making about $.50 on in my opinion they are losing money on the sale even with the $7 shipping. Quit your bitchin and be happy you can find the part.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Do you have a Ford dealer nearby? You can still order that from Ford under part number C0AF 9276 A, same one used on most cars right through the mid 80s.

cheers
Ed

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NO I do not! Box packing materials tape labor all cost money, for a $1.98 item that they are prolly making about $.50 on in my opinion they are losing money on the sale even with the $7 shipping. Quit your bitchin and be happy you can find the part.

Okay, so throw it in a #10 envelope, put a first class stamp on the envelope and charge me 4 dollars. Whats wrong with that?.

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
That's more than reasonable. I would suggest finding another supplier that won't frustrate you. There are many of them. A parts dealer that sells tens of thousands of parts from tiny clips to iron blocks usually has 3 or 4 shipping systems from US Mail to freight. They take a break-even (and some take a loss) to get and keep you as a customer, and when you need that $800 rebuild kit you use them again.

That's how you get and keep customers. That's how you make the better money in the biz. I did it for years. Now, in-turn, I am loyal to just a couple suppliers for everything I get, and when they can't reasonably get it, I use the computer to find the best total price. It usually isn't one of the "$2 + $7 shipping" places either. Those places struggle to make a few sales and wonder why they can't make a profit. Sad.

We have a couple wrecking yards around here that use the same philosophy. Holy cow, they rake in the bucks! The owners are filthy rich being good guys. Awesome. But that's another story.

David

PS: your local Ford dealer has it (C0AF-9276-A) for $1.36, plus tax, no shipping.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's more than reasonable. I would suggest finding another supplier that won't frustrate you. There are many of them. A parts dealer that sells tens of thousands of parts from tiny clips to iron blocks usually has 3 or 4 shipping systems from US Mail to freight. They take a break-even (and some take a loss) to get and keep you as a customer, and when you need that $800 rebuild kit you use them again.

That's how you get and keep customers. That's how you make the better money in the biz. I did it for years. Now, in-turn, I am loyal to just a couple suppliers for everything I get, and when they can't reasonably get it, I use the computer to find the best total price. It usually isn't one of the "$2 + $7 shipping" places either. Those places struggle to make a few sales and wonder why they can't make a profit. Sad.

We have a couple wrecking yards around here that use the same philosophy. Holy cow, they rake in the bucks! The owners are filthy rich being good guys. Awesome. But that's another story.

David

PS: your local Ford dealer has it (C0AF-9276-A) for $1.36, plus tax, no shipping.

I called the Ford dealer round here, and the gasket will be there in a day or two. 1.98, something like that... He said, it is the same gasket that they been using since 1960... Thanks all for the tip.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Quit your bitchin and be happy you can find the part.
You must work in customer service.

It's this same completely business-centric attitude that earns these companies their lousy reputation they deserve. Whether it's their return policies, overcharging on shipping, or poor customer service, at some point the aftermarket catalog businesses need to wake up and LISTEN TO THE CONSUMER or perish.

No business should sell a $3.00 part for $2.50 and have to take a loss, and if we want these guys around for our projects, we shouldn't demand that of them either. But they shouldn't toss a $5.00 (or more) handling charge on every shipment either. If the price to make their margin is $1.98, and it takes another $1.00 to cover handling and material costs, then sell the part for $2.98 and charge the actual cost of shipping. Doing anything but that builds resentment on the consumer's behalf (read the posts all over the web saying so).

You can be sure that representatives from these businesses are watching the bigger car forums like this one (most likely participating as well, which is great), but they aren't listening to the feedback from their customers, or worse yet, are choosing to completely ignore them. That makes for dangerous waters to swim in.

More frustrating to me than any specific practice that people regularly post on, is the apparent disinterest in addressing these concerns. It's a take-it-or-leave-it attitude when the recipe for success has been laid out in front of them in numerous threads, providing them with essential consumer feedback.

But, "it's their business and they'll run it the way they want." I say, "have at it." You're selling a commodity good which means people are going to buy it at the lowest price available unless you offer something more.

The lowest price NEVER means brand loyalty because as soon as someone is selling what your customer wants for a nickel less, they're gone! I would rather do business with companies that I like to do business with. NAPA rarely has the best price when I shop them, but I get treated right EVERY time, no exceptions. No wrong parts. No questions if I have an issue with a part.

I recently purchased some parts from Rock Auto. They messed up the order sending me two "correct" tie rod ends (right part numbers, but very different looking from each other), so I called them up. They sent me a postage-paid return label and immediately processed an order for the correct matching replacement part. I can't imagine getting that sort of treatment from many other companies, so Rock has earned my future business, even if they aren't the lowest price.

And I think that is really the point. I don't want to do business with a company that only wants to take my order. I'd rather rather give my hard-earned dollars to the company wants to earn my business.

If you don't like that, sell your stuff to someone else.

Paul

1969 R-Code, 4-Speed, Drag-Pack Cobra Fastback Project
1967 Mercury Commuter Wagon w/mild 429

My Car Restoration Projects

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You must work in customer service.

It's this same completely business-centric attitude that earns these companies their lousy reputation they deserve. Whether it's their return policies, overcharging on shipping, or poor customer service, at some point the aftermarket catalog businesses need to wake up and LISTEN TO THE CONSUMER or perish.

No business should sell a $3.00 part for $2.50 and have to take a loss, and if we want these guys around for our projects, we shouldn't demand that of them either. But they shouldn't toss a $5.00 (or more) handling charge on every shipment either. If the price to make their margin is $1.98, and it takes another $1.00 to cover handling and material costs, then sell the part for $2.98 and charge the actual cost of shipping. Doing anything but that builds resentment on the consumer's behalf (read the posts all over the web saying so).

You can be sure that representatives from these businesses are watching the bigger car forums like this one (most likely participating as well, which is great), but they aren't listening to the feedback from their customers, or worse yet, are choosing to completely ignore them. That makes for dangerous waters to swim in.

More frustrating to me than any specific practice that people regularly post on, is the apparent disinterest in addressing these concerns. It's a take-it-or-leave-it attitude when the recipe for success has been laid out in front of them in numerous threads, providing them with essential consumer feedback.

But, "it's their business and they'll run it the way they want." I say, "have at it." You're selling a commodity good which means people are going to buy it at the lowest price available unless you offer something more.

The lowest price NEVER means brand loyalty because as soon as someone is selling what your customer wants for a nickel less, they're gone! I would rather do business with companies that I like to do business with. NAPA rarely has the best price when I shop them, but I get treated right EVERY time, no exceptions. No wrong parts. No questions if I have an issue with a part.

I recently purchased some parts from Rock Auto. They messed up the order sending me two "correct" tie rod ends (right part numbers, but very different looking from each other), so I called them up. They sent me a postage-paid return label and immediately processed an order for the correct matching replacement part. I can't imagine getting that sort of treatment from many other companies, so Rock has earned my future business, even if they aren't the lowest price.

And I think that is really the point. I don't want to do business with a company that only wants to take my order. I'd rather rather give my hard-earned dollars to the company wants to earn my business.

If you don't like that, sell your stuff to someone else.

Paul

1969 R-Code, 4-Speed, Drag-Pack Cobra Fastback Project
1967 Mercury Commuter Wagon w/mild 429

My Car Restoration Projects
I agree. When I was in business, I owned an electrical business, specializing in communications, residential and industrial. I would do a N/C (No Charge) for some materials I used for the service job, which was a hourly charge. I often heard comments like: "Thanks for the wire you used". "Great! we saved some money, we'll be calling again". Not to mention I was the lower priced contractor around, but diden't skimp on materials. Matter of fact, if I was still in business I woulden't have time to have a vehicle project. I am semi-retired. I had at one time so many customers I had 4 trucks and 3 employees, and more than 34 licenses. (PA has no state wide electrical licenses).

Yes, your right. I often gave away some materials for the job and received many more, and bigger jobs in return...

·
Registered
841 Posts
Topic: I recently replaced the gaskets on my fuel tank. My Ford dealer had them in stock. Find the factory pn and give them a call. You might be surprised.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.