Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Anybody here who has installed Caltracs from Calvert Racing ?

I need help !!!

Because they did not tell me that i have to cut and weld on Leaf spring pivot point!

Can anybody send some pictures of the done work ?

That would help me a lot !

·
Registered
580 Posts
Here,s a couple of pics of the caltracs on my 64. You can see where its been cut underneath and the plate welded on the front.
I cut out just enough to clear the caltrac brackets underneath.
I found that there was not enough room to fit the big washer on the inside of the spring, only the outside, so I just made sure there was plenty of grease in there.
Also the front spring eye is too big to be able to use the top holes.

I have to say they do work well on the strip and the burnout pad.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Here,s a couple of pics of the caltracs on my 64. You can see where its been cut underneath and the plate welded on the front.

I cut out just enough to clear the caltrac brackets underneath.
I found that there was not enough room to fit the big washer on the inside of the spring, only the outside, so I just made sure there was plenty of grease in there.

Also the front spring eye is too big to be able to use the top holes.

I have to say they do work well on the strip and the burnout pad.
Wondering. Does your GALAXIE have the COMFORT-RIDE leaf spring arrangement on the front spring eye, and if yes/no, how did you work around it?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Sorry, not sure what you mean by comfort-ride leaf spring arrangement.
It has an aluminium bush instead of a rubber bush if thats what you mean.
Spring is a recurved 5 leaf pack.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Sorry, not sure what you mean by comfort-ride leaf spring arrangement.

It has an aluminium bush instead of a rubber bush if thats what you mean.

Spring is a recurved 5 leaf pack.
You're OK.

The front spring eye rode in a large rubber bushing. Is this large bushing replaced by the aluminum bushing?

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
those are interesting, but question- launch reaction torque to the axle tries to pull down just rear of the spring eye right? just seems that would be one way I wouldnt want a spring to break :)

I dont see much benefit over slapper bars- but slappers might stiffen the ride depending on snubber gap, where it looks like the caltracs 'float' more till needed... just wondering if theres more to it than this.

man thats a nice looking galaxie BTW- top and bottom!

·
Registered
580 Posts
They are good for tuning to different tires.
I adjust pre-load depending wheather I,m running street tires, slicks or ET Streets.
The ET,s seem to like a little more on the RH side, bout 1/4 LH side to 1/2 turn RH side above 0 setting.
Slicks seem to like 1/2 turn above on both sides.
On the street, the 0 setting feels about right.
This is with a manualised C6. A 4 speed manual might be different thing altogether.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
@ Fat64

Is it ok not to use leafspring insulatos ?
If you mean the insulators between the leaves, yes. But expect some noise. Use leaf clamps.

·
Registered
580 Posts
There are none between the leafs on mine. I cant say I,ve noticed any noise from them.
The springs have been re arched with an extra leaf and the clamps fitted on mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts