Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think My pakage would benefit more torque from a hydrolic roller cam. Great top end now but too soft on the bottom.
What's the biggest roller I can run to keep it a weekend street/strip ride?

289 1967 mustang fastback
ARP fasteners
forged pistons
Edelbrock Rpm intake and heads
9.3 comp ratio
Accel 300+ dist and ingnition 18deg initial 34 total
currently Lunati [email protected] .510 advanced 8deg
Full lenght headers ect.
C4 2700 stall w/gear vendor overdrive
3.55 locker 26" tires

·
Registered
97 Posts
Go to a 3800 stall and at least 3:90 gears and you can leave the cam alone and you'll have more bottom end power and still be very streetable.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I advanced the cam to bring in the torque a little earlier.

I thinking of going to 410's since I have the gear vendor.

3800 stall? Is that still streetable? I was thinking too much heat above 3000 stall.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
I drive a 3200 stall and at last's years Cruize Night I spent about an hour at near 25 MPH in heavy traffic. Use a good cooler and make sure that air is moving through it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I drive around with a 4500 all the time, there's no extra heat just from regular driving , heat only builds up when you're racing or doing burnouts. As long as you have decent cooling it won't get any hotter than a regular tramsmission or converter. I run a trans. temp. gauge so I know this for a fact.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a friend that has a 3500 stall in his 94 stang. I think it's an AOD. When we drive to the drags there's long hill to clime. He always pulls over to let his tranny temp to go down. I'm sorry I don't know what temp he's running, but I guess it's time to investigate. I live in Palm Springs Ca. where the temp in summer is avg 105 deg. Winter 75 deg. I'll have to check with him on everyday driving on this.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sent a messege to Crane and Comp. Totally different views on a hydrolic roller.
Crane 215-226 @ 50 112Ls
Comp 224-224 @50 110Ls
I think the Crane would be to soft for my set up. Which one per your opinion?
I was looking at the Holley/Lunati #51028 221-236 @50 111Ls.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Yes, a roller cam will give you more torque and better idle quality and throttle response.
I would use the smaller Crane cam. It's very easy to overcam a street driven 289 and a 4500 stall is not much fun or efficient on the street. The Crane roller will match up to your current combo closely with awesome power from start to finish. I would install it straight-up. It will also allow a little NOS in the future if you choose.

·
Registered
355 Posts
3.55 is a good street gear for a C4. I would
use about a 225 @ 050 cam with the same convertor. You might not get off the line perfectly, but it will be very drivable. If you are made of money, go to a 3000 stall, but I wouldn't go higher with current gas prices.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wuts-up BFXComet? Banning drags, That will be the day.They have been talking for years!I've raced at the airport and spun almost all the way down the track. Lead foot.

I see I have two cam suggestions here. Thank guys.
How about this. Compare a hydrolic flat tappet to a roller. Is a 224-224 flat tappet similar to a 220-220 roller in idle and when the power comes on?
The reason ask is I think 224 is what I should have if I stay with a flat tappet. But I want to spend the bucks only once and step up to a hyd roller.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I ran a 230/230 @.050 and 292 adv. duration Lunati flat hyd. cam in a 289 with a 3.50 rear. The idle was radical and the power came in about 3000 rpms even with Rhodes lifters. I lost a lot of e.t. down low with that setup (13.50 @ 101 mph). When I look back, I think a 220/226 would have been a lot better for the 9.5:1 compression.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think your right on with that. I can feel my cam come in at about 29-3000 but my stall is 2700. Lag!! That's why I am researching what other people use in this type combo. if I where to stay with a flat tappet it would be easy for me to fix. But I never used a roller so!!!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
A roller with similar specs as a flat tappet is much more forgiving on the bottom end and has a stronger power curve from start to finish. I run a mild 230/236 roller with bigger heads on my 331 street Mustang and the idle is still smooth and the bottom end power has doubled from the old 289 combo. I love it!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Bluestreek, you've been a great help. I like the answer. Time to order a cam!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fasterdamitt on 2/23/03 11:01pm ]</font>

1 - 20 of 20 Posts